gas fire removal/installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a (massive and heavy) fire surround which I wish to remove, there is also a gas fire which will need (professionally) isolating.

I have purchased a new wall mountable flueless gas fire but am unsure of how to proceedas this will be situated higher up the chimney breast than the previous fire.

Sholud I brick up the hole left by the 'old' fire or will plasterboard be OK? It seems that if I got professional in I would need:

CORGI engineer to blank off exhisting fire
Builder to remove existing surround and brick up hole
Plasterer to skim the wall
CORGI engineer to install the new fire

How muchof this can I legally do myself, and where should any gas pipework be entended to, if at all? :?:

Sorry I'm at a bit off a loss where to start...

thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if this is right I am about to do a similar thing.

I had gas fire disconnected yesterday, by CORGI engineer.

I have been told that I can remove my chimmney pot board over and render then I can completley brick fireplace. If not air brick must be used.

yes it can be capped off and bricked up,CORGI MAN FOR ALL YOUR GAS-WORK! and make sure you identify the correct flue terminal if capping as capping an in use flue is highly dangerous.

Sponsored Links
OP take the flueless suicide machine back asap. They are all a death waiting to happen.

I would doubt that you will find a true safety conscious CORGI who would fit it for you, for any amount of money :eek: IMHO

i'm with gas4you on this one, at the risk of upsetting people who make,sell and fit these they are an accident waiting to happen ( in recent incident it did actually happen) too many variables on potential problems i would NEVER fit one, in fact our company policy is to simply refuse under any circumstances.
too many times we come across existing gas appliances that have been neglected to the point of danger, with these you are starting off with a fair chance of a problem, take it back,
PS whatever you do if you end up blanking the chimney pot you will need to vent it at the bottom end or you will have condensation/damp soaking through the wall which will be stained black with the soot from the inside of the chimney

In situations such as this I always recommend an electric fire.. Valor and Dimplex do some really nice ones.. I'm with the others on Flueless fires.. it is not that I see them as dangerous when new, but all the gas men know that the next time it will see a service is when something is wrong with it, and that could be too late.

I frequently shake my head when I see a brand new CO alarm slap bang next to a room sealed boiler yet no consideration has been taken for the open flued gas fire in the living room

I have a (massive and heavy) fire surround which I wish to remove, there is also a gas fire which will need (professionally) isolating.

I have purchased a new wall mountable flueless gas fire but am unsure of how to proceedas this will be situated higher up the chimney breast than the previous fire.

Sholud I brick up the hole left by the 'old' fire or will plasterboard be OK? It seems that if I got professional in I would need:

CORGI engineer to blank off exhisting fire
Builder to remove existing surround and brick up hole
Plasterer to skim the wall
CORGI engineer to install the new fire

How muchof this can I legally do myself, and where should any gas pipework be entended to, if at all? :?:

Sorry I'm at a bit off a loss where to start...

thanks for any input.

Please don`t fit a flueless gas fire, They are killing people, don`t fit one.

bamber gaspipe, my other posts to you are just a wind up like yours, on this subject i honestly want to know what the situaton is in USA on these, your post here agrees on them being dodgy but in USA are there many getting fitted or any reports on problems with them?

bamber gaspipe, my other posts to you are just a wind up like yours, on this subject i honestly want to know what the situaton is in USA on these, your post here agrees on them being dodgy but in USA are there many getting fitted or any reports on problems with them?

Not interested in USA. people are dying here. don`t fit them here, end of story.

Not interested in USA. people are dying here. don`t fit them here, end of story.
Quote earlier .This a local shop for local people.youve been rumbled Bambi.Theres more chance of snow in harvest than you residing in the good old USA.Probably living in a shed down a fen road.SCAMMY

are the flueless fires really that bad? How do they pass current legislation if they are?

I think a carbon monoxide monitor is a must anyhow with any type of gas fire. I am willing to reconsider (especially as it still sealed and boxed) if there is supporting information as I dont really fancy a date with death.

Than for the input thus far.

are the flueless fires really that bad? How do they pass current legislation if they are?

I think a carbon monoxide monitor is a must anyhow with any type of gas fire. I am willing to reconsider (especially as it still sealed and boxed) if there is supporting information as I dont really fancy a date with death.

Than for the input thus far.

http://www.advisorybodies.doh.gov.uk/comeap/pressrelease.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr023.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrhtm/rr023.htm

haha, c'mon bamber have you been rumbled, a couple of your comments made me wonder if you were from Engurland as opposed to USA, but to be honest both are foreign so i was happy to have a dig at you anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back