Extending Brick Coal House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 6' x 6' basic brick structure in my yard that I believe was the original coal store. It has since been used as a small store/shed. It has a concrete floor and although in need of pointing in fairly good order.

I would like to take out the back wall and add a 6' x 8' extention to give me a very decent shed/workshop. I have plenty of old matching brick so that is not a problem but I am thinking of utalising some of the flags we have as the workshop floor. Would this be ok or am I best sticking to a concrete base with membrane?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Without wishing to sound negative, it's such a small structure, wouldn't it be better to pull the whole lot down and rebuild with a proper base, DPC etc etc?

Eddie M said:
Without wishing to sound negative, it's such a small structure, wouldn't it be better to pull the whole lot down and rebuild with a proper base, DPC etc etc?
Sad, but true. You'd probably have to redo the whole roof anyway. You'll probably end up with an obvious join of old to new brickwork. You may end up with a step in the base. There's the possiblity that the two parts of base, may go their seperate ways in future (leading to cracks in the walls or worse). Given the choice, I'd rather spend a few extra days doing the job, than have the can of worms quicker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back