Girl 9 Dies after explosion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7176369.stm

PLease please dont muck around with gas if you have not got the appropriate training or equipment

this is what happens

the newsreader said that it was the belief of the fire brigade that the resident smelt gas was inspecting his boiler just before the explosion happened

God rest her and look over her family

poor poor people

Sponsored Links
Went to one years ago where pensioners had left oven on all night without being lit , His wife got up in morning and went to light cooker for breakfast.. It blew out the doors and lifted the roof off the house and dropping it an inch off line . All she got was singed hair and a fright.

GAs should only be available in enclosed appliances inside a house IMO. Cookers are a disaster waiting to happen, and any other naked flame device for that matter. Gas is an inherently dangerous material wtf use it inside a place where you live? We're not allowed to have chemistry sets nowadays as they are dangerous. They're not half as dangerous as a pooling of domestic gas.

What's mucking about got to do with it? There are plenty of people who are certified to work on gas, and they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near it. That applies to other carp construction industry certificates too, it's been organised so that rubbish people can get certificates.

Sponsored Links
GAs should only be available in enclosed appliances inside a house IMO. Cookers are a disaster waiting to happen, and any other naked flame device for that matter. Gas is an inherently dangerous material wtf use it inside a place where you live? We're not allowed to have chemistry sets nowadays as they are dangerous. They're not half as dangerous as a pooling of domestic gas.

What's mucking about got to do with it? There are plenty of people who are certified to work on gas, and they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near it. That applies to other carp construction industry certificates too, it's been organised so that rubbish people can get certificates.

This I know but at least they have sat in a classroom and heard something about safety.

Thats why I never suggest that DIYers "check gas pressures or APS" on this forum.

I would be much happier if others did not either.

Any encouragement to do gas work should be deleted by the Mod!

Tony

Well you can usually check an APS electrically from the pcb outside the tin box.
Thoughts??
Should we draw the line at that?
So if it means taking the air box off, don't go there?
Some DIYers are good, some are hopeless, and we can't usually tell which is which, and once advice is given, anyone can read it and in they go...

This accident happened about 2 minutes up the road from me. Unfortuantly i can say it is a mess. Such a bad case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time for the little girl.

The house is council owned and it is belived that the leak was on the main outside the house as passers by had reported a smell of gas a few days prior to the accident. This was also still ablaze up untill a few hours ago.

As far as i have heard the elderly tenants were not involved and how they walked out with no major injuries is a miricle!

Sam

PLease please dont muck around with gas if you have not got the appropriate training or equipment

this is what happens

the newsreader said that it was the belief of the fire brigade that the resident smelt gas was inspecting his boiler just before the explosion happened

We do not know what happened.Please put a sock in it until you get some facts. I find it offensive that you exploit this tragic accident to peddle the 'Don't DIY' Corgi party line.

Not relevant to this, but the main reason that many people resort to DIY is that they can't afford a Corgi pipe basher.

sambotc said:
The house is council owned and it is believed that the leak was on the main outside the house as passers by had reported a smell of gas a few days prior to the accident.

A few days?

Sadly, I fear that this kind of incident will be on the increase as in the current economic climate, private landlords try to economise on their properties. The Landlords Gas Safety certificate is seen by many as a formality. It is not uncommon to find that landlords do not have regular safety checks done.

I have little doubt that this tragedy is the result of unforeseen circumstanses rather than neglegence but sometimes even conscientious fitters can miss things.

I agree with Oilman, there are far too many cookers on sale today with no means of cutting the gas if the burner is not lit... And whilst I am on the subject the only purpose for a Flame supervision devise on an oven is to gas you at a slower rate... Oh and my favorite cheap and nasty LFE gas fires, if they are not room sealed, then I don't see where they fit in to a modern home..They certainly don't heat anything... Rant over

rules are changing for cookers when fitted in flats or communial building.

onetap wrote

Not relevant to this, but the main reason that many people resort to DIY is that they can't afford a Corgi pipe basher.

no but they can afford brand new cars/holidays etc what price do you put on lives?

sparks at work has been moaning about a smell of gas outside his house for the last two days on the service pipe told him to ring supplier,his reply was its outside :rolleyes: so it will be alright :!: told him the consequences and showed him the paper today,shrugged shoulders and said i will get round to it.you cannot educate some people.

this is what happens

We do not know what happened.Please put a sock in it until you get some facts. I find it offensive that you exploit this tragic accident to peddle the 'Don't DIY' Corgi party line.

Not relevant to this, but the main reason that many people resort to DIY is that they can't afford a Corgi pipe basher.?

I am NOT using this issue to Peddle anything, How dare you even suggest that I have any other reason for posting this than to point out

1 What a total tradgedy this is

and 2 how dangerous gas can be

I am certainly not having a pop at DIY gas work I am having a pop at UNTRAINED AND INCOMPETANT gas work, as I have seen many a DIY gas job carried out to a high standard. And as you can see I didnt mention DIY ONCE

My comment about the belief that the home owner was inspecting his own boiler before the explosion WAS stated this morning on BBC breakfast by the reporter on the scene.

Get Stuffed Onetap that was way out on line.

Your right baxi i worded it wrong.. wonder how many will adhere to it and how many customers will fit there own existing appliances when they move house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back