Electricity Meter Help Please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a flat with just electricity provided. There is just one electricity meter. However, there is an Economy 7 controller fitted for the hot water which is set to come on between midnight and 7am. It is also possible to have one hour 'boost' at any time during the day.

It is not possible to get other than one single reading from the meter. It is not a digital meter and there is no button to press to get another reading. It is NOT they type of meter with several 'clock type' dials.

How does it record the cheaper electricity between midnight and 7am??

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you do not have econ7 ;)

Maybe the house did once, but this was removed.

Thanks for that Lectrician.....thing is, this is a new flat (3yrs old anyway) so can't see a change you mention so soon.

A bloke at British Gas said that the meter reads 'slower' at Econ 7 times. Is that possible?

Maybe when the flats were built the electricians designed their install around having an E7 meter, but the Building company organised for the meters and only asked for single rates instead of 2 rates?

Seen it before, and been back a few weeks later to change em all too :D

PIC?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for response Roo. Will get a pic asap but it is all locked away and I have to get concierge to open door.

Look at your electricity bill or phone your supplier and ask what tariff you are on.

A bloke at British Gas said that the meter reads 'slower' at Econ 7 times. Is that possible?

No it's complete *******s. Pity you didn't get his name so you could make a formal complaint.

No it's complete ****. Pity you didn't get his name so you could make a formal complaint.

I think that British Gas do not have a clue about anything, & I do not think much of their customer care.

Or is that British Gas are a s*** company.

Or is it maybe because I am biased against them, as they want about £700 from me for the Gas I used in the period of June to August, when all I used the gas for was heating the hot water (heating times were: 7am to 9am & 4:30pm to 11pm), no home could use that much gas in summer, just for heating the water. :evil:

And also because they want about £150 from me for the electric, when I am on a key meter at the moment.

And the best thing is as I have switched from them to Southern Energy Networks, BG called me to persuare me to stay with them, & this was a day or two after they sent me that Gas bill.

I get a bill of British gas now and then too...

Only problem is I've never had British gas as my supplier for electric or gas :LOL:

LINC if you have a single rate meter it will read at the same rate all day they don't slow at off peak times.

A pic will confirm it is a single rate meter.

This sounds like a one rate meter.

It is possible you have the wrong tariff for that meter?

Just a courtesy update on this one.

The meter is a 'single' as several of you suggested. Apparently I can have two meters fitted free of charge (one being offpeak) Thank goodness I didn't stay with British Gas if their employees give out such duff gen!

btw...sorry for delay in update - due to ill health.

Many thanks for your responses!

Not changed one for a while but if I remember rightly the electric meters I have seen british gas use can be used as either a single or 2 rate.

All that is needed is a time clock fitting (10min job).

You say that the meter you have isn't a dial meter, is it a small white thing with a digital display and a serial number starting something like A06N***** ?

If it is then all you need is a timeclock.

Thanks, Roo. Access to the meter is not 'easy' as it is in a locked cupboard and access is gained via the Concierge (Block of apartments)

It is white but not a digital display. The display is in a line but with revolving numbers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back