Converting House into 2 flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can help me. I have had an offer accepted on an old three bedroom terrace. My plan is to convert it into 2 one bedroom flats. I have spoken to the local Planning Office and they cannot foresee any problems with permission and so my next step is to submit the official Planning Permission request.

I obviously need to have architectural drawings made up, but there are already a number of houses on the same street that have been converted to flats. Is there any way that I can get to see these drawings to help me with ideas of where to situate rooms for my own renovation.

Also if anyone has any experience of doing a similar renovation, any tips or suggestions regarding the actual stages I need to go through would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there any way that I can get to see these drawings to help me with ideas of where to situate rooms for my own renovation.

Ask whoever drew them. And don't forget to say please! I'd approach them with the angle that you want them to do the drawings for your project as they'll be more likely to co-operate if they think they will get something out of it.

just knock on some of the neighbours doors, explain what you're doing and ask if they wouldn't mind you taking a few measurements.. take a bottle of wine or something as a sweetner..

BE VARY cautious with the planners!!! i attempted to do the same 1 1/2 yrs ago, i brought a 3 bed end terrace in Erdington Birmingham with a view to convert into 2, 1 bed flats. It all went swimmingly, i had initial plans drawn, i had a pre-application meeting with the planners, they said there was no problem at all and that i should continue. . .so i payed out a total of £700 (£1000 when you include the planners fees) to have the detailed drawings done and submitted. .guess what, it was refused on FIVE grounds!!!!

On appeal the planners said the initial pre application meeting was "a bit vague"?..i had no proof of the details of that meeting so i was snookered. you may have done this before and i hope i dont sound patronising, I know you will be liaising with different planners. .but make sure you get EVERY conversation and detail recorded in either letters or emails!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies, this is all new to me and any info is appreciated:-

Bon, How do I find out who drew them?

ColJack, I was thinking of knocking on the neighbours doors and asking if they could give me any info, but the flats are all rented out. However, I could still look around and take measurements, thanks for the idea.

Fingertight, What were the FIVE grounds that your permission was refused on?

1./There is a high demand for family housing in this part of the city but the proposed development would result in the loss of a family dwelling 2./The proposed bedrooms and kitchen/living rooms are small and would provide cramped conditions for occupiers, with poor residential amenity.
3./The proposed external staircase (fire escape)and platform would cause unacceptable overlooking of number...
4./The proposed two storey side extension would have an unacceptable overbearing impact on the occupiers of No .. Flackwell Road.

The fifth point was withdrawn..ALL the above was covered in the pre application meeting..I still feel hoodwinked by them. me and my best mate brought the house..im a gas engineer & he's a builder so we thought we had it tied up :(

If you want the full saga ive still got the appeal document that i drew up on my computer..ill email it if you want it.

if you have a look on your local council's website there should be a link to a Planning Portal or similar where you should be able to search past planning applications and see the drawings and associated documents. :D

you must lead a sad life if all you have to do is post pointless sarcastic messages on forums, I pity you!

Thanks for your interest. We have now finished the renovation and ended up ditching the plan to convert into two flats and instead did a loft conversion, making a large 4 bed house. Unfortunatley, due to the current climate, we are not going to try to sell yet and are renting it out instead. :D

There's no need to be so negative Breezer, if you have nothing useful or constructive to say, try saying nothing at all. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back