Preparation for wall and ceiling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fellow DIYers/Pro's,

Thanks for your help to date, it has been invaluable and I am going to apply all you have advised.

The plasterer that has done our walls seems to have done a very good job, I would now appreciate some advice on preparation of walls prior to painting.

Firstly, where I identify and area that needs filling, should this be done prior to the mist coat, or can it be done between coats if it is not identified until then.

Secondly. In the past I have used Polycell Fine surface filler, is this the Professional's choice, or is there a better alternative?

Thirdly, can anyone recommend a good brand and model of filling knife?

Thanks

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
As for prepping the walls...all you need to do first is scrape off any plaster splashes or build up in the corners/around the edges he may have left..and wash off any slurry with a damp sponge.

Then do your mist coat..thinned by 20-30% depending on the make.

When its dry check all the walls over for any dents etc...may attention to the corners (plasterers are like goal keepers...they hate corners!!!) and around the ceiling and skirting line.

Do you filling..id use ordinary powder polyfilla...dont bother with ready mixed fine surface filler, it sets rock hard and when you rub it down youll end up scratching all the plaster around it because its softer than the filler.

Then rub the whole wall down and apply your first coat..thinned by about 15-20% depending on the brand

Rub the wall over again with 120 grade abrasive paper then do your third one again thinning by about 15%

Oh and use matt not silk, silk sows up every deviation and mark on the surface.

Thanks Zampa, Any thoughts on a decent brand and model of filling knife?

Sponsored Links
Ones with the small wooden handles I find are good..

Hamiltion do them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back