power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will be fitting the power for an electric shower unit, if the incoming power cannot be isolated via a 100amp breaker, is it ok to pull the 100 amp incoming supply fuse ? so as to allow me to make of my tails, and what if anything should i be aware of before doing this ? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Quite a lot actually!

If you pull your main service fuse, there is a possibility you will be exposing live parts.

First of all you will need to make sure you aren't drawing any current as this would cause arcing when you pull the fuse. This is done by switching the main switch of your CU to "OFF".

Of course, you shouldn't be doing this as it is REC property. Hence the seal. Are you sure you should be doing this? It might be an idea to get a spark in to wire up to a separate CU for the shower (it sounds like this is what you are doing) and then you do the final bit from CU.

This has been covered in several posts before, try a search for "Henley block" amongst other things.

By the way, a "Power shower" is not the same as an "electric shower". You appear to be fitting the latter. A power shower is a pump that just boosts the normal gravity hot and cold water, and can be wired into a standard ring main.

technically you are supposed to ask the rec but some of them can be a pita making unreasonable demands before they will do it (even from pro sparks) or chosing very inconviniant times

if you do decide to pull it note the following

1: make sure main switches are off to stop arcing
2: make sure you only touch plastic parts when pulling it
3: look at the base and if you see exposed live parts and you are in a confined space make a temporary cover out of cardboard or similar to prevent accidental contact during the work

Oooh, just thought of another: put the fuse in your toolbox. Unlikely that anyone is going to come along and plug it in whilst you are working on tails (especially seeing as you will be right there) but better safe than sorry. Also you don't want to lose it as I don't think you can just walk into a wholesalers and buy a new one.

Sponsored Links
the fuses are easy enough to get (tlc do them)

i would imagine the problem if someone nicked it would be getting a replacement plug in carrier not getting a replacement for the fuse itself

When I said "fuse" I should have said "fuse plus carrier", it comes from being an old-style Wylex owner... bah! :LOL:

You're right, and you have to be specific with this kind of stuff.

if you are in doubt (as you are) this is one time i would get an electrician in , but nothing to stop you running in cable ready

Sorry - and my two-penn'orth -

PLEASE DON'T MESS WITH THE MAIN FUSE - illegal and dangerous - however inconvenient it is to get the REC in, it can't be worse that a lifetime consigned to the grave. Get an isolator fitted then you can isolate the CU & CU supply tails so you can work on your system safely without tampering with REC's equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back