Ford Fiesta idling problems...help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help.

I have an R reg Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec. Its a great motor for the better half, but suffers from stalling when idle or waiting at lights etc. Today I've had the bonnet up and listened to the engine.

I am no mechanic, but this is what I "hear":

- Engine seems to start idling fine but within seconds starts to "rise and fall", like its chasing its correct idling speed. It then drops quite suddenly to low revs then rises slowly and sits there fine.

- I then depress the accelerator a few times and all seems ok, then its off hunting again for its final idling speed, then it drops quite suddenly almost to stalling but seems to grab it before completely stalling, then climbs again.

I dunno if that makes sense to anyone. I've been googling and reading up, and air cleaner was suggested, and I've checkd that and its fine (inc connectors etc). The filter itself is brand new. I've checked for breaks in hoses, no problems as far as I can see. The only thing left is the throttle sensor someone mentioned on another forum, but I wanted to get your take on whats going on here?

Any help, very much appreciated in advance and thanks for taking the time to reply, its most appreciated if you can.

kind regards

Greg

Sponsored Links
I had the same fault with my Fiesta. The garage replaced the stepper motor to rectify stalling.

Excellent info 141 really appreciated! Any clues how much that comes in at at the garage and if its doable DIY?

£90 including labour but It was 5 years ago. Sorry I am no mechanic, so weather it is a DIY job I am clueless.

Sponsored Links
Have you got the idle problem sorted? If not then it could be the idle speed control valve (ISCV) is gummed up and dirty. It is an easy diy fix ,you need to get some carb cleaner and a new gasket .Then its a matter of removing it and spraying the carb cleaner into the two holes in the body .You will be suprised at the ammount of gunge that comes out.Keep spraying and wiping all the crap off and when all looks clean ,let it dry and then spray WD40 into the holes and shake off the excess. Then its just a matter of refitting it with the new gasket. Good luck. :D

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help.

I have an R reg Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec. Its a great motor for the better half, but suffers from stalling when idle or waiting at lights etc. Today I've had the bonnet up and listened to the engine.

I am no mechanic, but this is what I "hear":

- Engine seems to start idling fine but within seconds starts to "rise and fall", like its chasing its correct idling speed. It then drops quite suddenly to low revs then rises slowly and sits there fine.

- I then depress the accelerator a few times and all seems ok, then its off hunting again for its final idling speed, then it drops quite suddenly almost to stalling but seems to grab it before completely stalling, then climbs again.

I dunno if that makes sense to anyone. I've been googling and reading up, and air cleaner was suggested, and I've checkd that and its fine (inc connectors etc). The filter itself is brand new. I've checked for breaks in hoses, no problems as far as I can see. The only thing left is the throttle sensor someone mentioned on another forum, but I wanted to get your take on whats going on here?

Any help, very much appreciated in advance and thanks for taking the time to reply, its most appreciated if you can.

kind regards

Greg

Snooper - many thanks for this and I think you are right....I read somewhere else its gonna be this.

question - where do I get a new gasket from? is the iscv easy to get to?

thanx again!

:D

I will find a pic of the ISCV location for you .It is located at the front of the engine to the right of the inlet manifold. You can only get a new gasket from Ford,i will look up the part number for you tomorrow.

snooper - cleaned out the ISCV and managed to save the o-rings. Took the car for a spin and simulated coming to lights, slowing and stopping to idle...same problem, she JUST managed to avoid cutting out and after that, idled very poorly. I am wondering if I should be looking at the throttle sensor, as I picked up on this on another thread.

The ISCV, which from other info as well as yours I was expecting to be filthy, was pretty free of rubbish, which was a low point for me!

thanks again for your all help. removing the ISCV helps me with the courage to do more.

Sponsored Links
Back