My main door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a leaseholder of a council, 2005 the council installed double glazing and the main door for the whole block, on the 10 th Jan 08 I came home and notice a crack by the main door white panel which was fitted for the main door, on opening the door I could not close shut the door securely, the top and the bottom of the door does not slide into the door frame.

I contacted the council who informed me there one year defect period had past and there was not guarantee on the works which cost each leaseholder almost £8,000.00. Is this possible, I thought normally double glazing installation normally has at least a 5 year guarentte on them? am I wrong?

I have to now find a company to fix it for me and pay for this myself, If the council had allowed me to install it myself, I would surely have got a longer guarentte on them.

My question is what do I do? do I deduct what it will cost to fix it out of the repayment to the council?[December 2007&jan 08 021.jpg]
[/imDecember 2007&jan 08 025.jpgg]

Sponsored Links
I thought the "lease" payment you make each year is to cover the maintenance of common areas. If so, then the freeholder (the council) should be responsible for the maintenance - check your lease agreement/deeds.

Tenants in the private sector would not be deemed liable for any repairs to a rented property under a standard shorthold tenancy agreement. I would check the terms of your agreement, it must be written somewhere what your responsibilities are.

Are you talking about the main door to the communal area or the main door to your flat ?

If it is a communal door leading into a communal hallway then it is not your problem. If it is the door to your flat then check your agreement.

When you say you are a leaseholder, have you bought the lease from the council? Do you pay a monthly rent ?

i would make a fuss as your agents they where responsible for getting you good value for money plus reasonable quality
the door should be fit for purpose in other words last several more years than 3

try citizens advice but please note this is only my opinion before someone jumps down my throat :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
as mentioned above, the main door to the block is indeed a common part of it, so its the responsibility of your council to upkeep and maintain this.

If the guarantee has expired, then the council should have adequate funds in their budgets from you and other leaseholders paying into it via your service charge.

i find it hard to believe that any repairs needed are not covered so soon after it was installed?! :confused:

you should certainly NOT be looking to carry out the repair out of your own pocket. Put a letter of complaint into your council and they should adhere to there complaints procedure and as the saying goes "those that shout loudest" - you'll see that fixed in no time. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back