Fitting a door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking at replacing my bathroom door. I'm getting into my DIY so I'd really like to try doing this myself, rather than get a carpenter in.

Could someone please give me some pointers/tips? Or alternatively, send a link to some easy-to-understand instructions for the layman?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
i can think of at least 20 pointers straight away?

there is no joy in hanging and furnishing doors.

the first 10 are the most difficult, after that, it gets...............less difficult.

you will first need to 'fit' the door. this involves planing the door so that you have an even gap around ALL the door edges.

the hinge side needs special attention.

it is easier to plane a bit more off. very difficult to add some on.

post again when you have completed the fitting stage. ;)

iff possible i would try and change the casing aswell,theres nowt worse than hanging a new door to an out of square/level casing,especially for a novice ;)

iff possible i would try and change the casing aswell,theres nowt worse than hanging a new door to an out of square/level casing,especially for a novice ;)

What - rip the casing out and take the plaster and decorations with it too?

And if the wall or plaster surface is out, trying to put a casing back in square and plumb will lead to it sticking in/out at the top or bottom

You make the door fit the opening and then adjust the hinges or stops to suit

Sponsored Links
you can remove a door casing with little or no damage to the palster as i have done on numerous occasions

remove archetraves from both sides of the casing then cut through the casing put your nailbars between th casing and the plaster and gently prize away,if the casing is screwed you could aslos unscrew them by finding the screw heads throught the paintwork as it can always be located by finding the filler marks thro the paint

if the existing frame is rebated rather than having stops you cannot adjust these but yes you can adjust the hinges but for a novice this would be complicated,and 9 times out of 10 you would have to splice new timbers where the old hinges have been etc etc......... much easier to chang the casing

Yes its possible, but it seems an awful lot of effort and messing about for very little gain.

If someone is struggling with hanging a door in a slightly out casing or frame, then I really cant see them being able to mess about with replacing a casing and getting it any better than the existing one.

Much easier to leave it in, and avoid or the possible problems, making good and redecoration

Also - router or rebate plane for rebated casings ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back