advice about a problem from a proffesional window install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had my house double glazed just before christmas. Previously I had wooden framed single glazing, which was well over due for replacing.

After the severe rain that we had last night I found that one of my internal window boards had a large puddle on it, indicating a serious problem.
When I checked, I noticed that in the recess of the window, the plaster (and wallpaper) was very wet about 4" above the window board. I also notice that on the other side of the recess in the same place the other side seems wet too.

So I called the company and someone came round..

He looks and removes bead from windows. We both check. Bone dry inside. We go outside and he says that the silicone is fine around the window - this looks ok to me too. It really is hard to explain the water, especially the amount of it.

He starts to tell me that it is coming through one of the bricks. Im not sure about this. I point out that before they came round this had never happened. He seems to be shifting the blame to my brick work and avoiding responsibility.

We have left the matter as un resolved at pressent, but its bugging the hell out of me now!!

My dad said that inside the cavity there should be a vertical damp proof membrane and its posible that this came out when the old window was taken away.

I would be interested to hear from the pro's about what might be the problem and also what come back I have on this. They dont seem as bothered as me about it and implied that they are not responsible for the brick work. The work is FENSA cert.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Without seeing the job it is impossible to say if they are at fault or not.

To be fair you say they sent someone out straight away to take a look and neither of you could see any obvious cause for the leak as far as the window installation is concerned.

Is the brick in question loose? It might be a good idea to get brickie out to take a look and advise further.
If the window is at fault then you can go back to the window company later.

Thanks for the reply Glassman,

I thought the company were very good to send someone out. I am not critiscising.

All the bricks are solid, and this problem never happened before they did the work.

My worry is about this damp proof membrane. Most of the way up each side of the recess is damp.

It sounds feasible to me that when wooden frame was removed, they may have removed a membrane too.

Does this sound right?

Have you thought about the possibility of condensation.

People don't realise just how much is produced.

I've heard of this problem before. The woman opposite had exactly the same. Workmen from the company came out regular. Everything they fitted and checked was ok but every now and again there was a huge pool of water on the floor.

Try leaving one of the windows slightly open. See if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about the possibility of condensation.

Er no. Did you read my OP properly? I said the plaster is wet underneath the wallpaper 4" above the window board. Besides the room has 2 other windows installed these were bone dry. I have a definite leak here. Its just one of those things, If you had seen it you would know it was a leak too.

I expect ill have to wait for the wallpaper to start to go mouldy, so that I can convince the installers that its not right.

have you got damp anywhere else in the house?

is this window very exposed to the weather>?

Could be getting in between glass and frame and leaking inwards if the drainage holes have been sealed outside, could be getting in above the frame and running down. There are many things that "could" be happening it really is only practical to re-seal every possible place the window comes in contact with the wall.

You would have to remove all of the old sealant and reseal it totally (or the window company will)
They may not have expanding foamed completely around the frame and combined with a bad seal somewhere moisture is getting in?

I highly doubt it is the brickwork to blame....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back