Fire Resistant Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The man from the council says I need to build a fire resistant stud wall in my new garage because it's attached to the house. (Would have been nice if the architect had told me that in the first place - but he's got my money now so what does he care :rolleyes: ) Anyway Building Control says the boarding for the wall needs to be 2 thicknesses of ordinary plasterboard or 1 thickness of pink fire resistant plasterboard.

I'm fairly sure I know how to build the stud wall (although haven't made one before) but can anyone tell me where I can get this pink plasterboard, what thickness I need, what factors to consider when deciding whether to use it or the ordinary stuff, etc? Also will the wall need to be skimmed, or is bare plasterboard (pink or otherwise) sufficient? (I'm looking for compliance to regs rather than trying to win any beauty competitions ;) )

Sponsored Links
Cost - standard board will be cheaper per board

Time - You only have to put one layer of the fireproof stuff up.

Do you have a step between the garage floor and the house floor?

ask for 12.5mm fireline plasterboards at a builders merchant. this does not include B&Q, Homebase, Wickes or any other diy shed!

as i understand it, these boards need skimming.

will the intended stud wall separating garage from habitable? what will this new space be used for?

You should only need a 1/2 hour fire wall, in which case normal 12.5mm plasterboard and skim each side of a 75mm stud frame will do. Add Rockwool for improved fire protection and sound insulation

Sponsored Links
Bit of a long story. Ducking a diving mostly lol.

No, working and thinking about building all day, working on the PC at night and then spending too much time on forums is not to be recommended. :(

I just had a well needed break

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back