Plans Panel recommendation - access issue unbelievable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all. A little background.
My Application (conversion of 1 property into flats) was recommended for approval by Planning and Highways. However, due a number of whinging neighbours, it went to Plans Panel today for review after they complained re traffic generated and visibility splays.

None of the above were issues and we seemed to be going well until an objector said she was worried that her driveway might get blocked. One Councillor jumped on this as his personal crusade and asked me to personally guarantee that no-one will park outside her driveway - bl00dy ridiculous.

All I could do was counter that we had provided enough parking spaces as outlined in manual for Street, and that it could happen now but IT DOESN'T!! Yet he still banged on that he wanted me to personally guarantee no-one would park there. I mentioned yellow lines but they were deemed non-enforceable.

I am in a state of shock that none of the other Councillors told him to shut up and that idiots like this are running the country. His objection wasn't and isn't even an issue.

Anyway, it has been deferred for 1 month. So, have you guys used anything to overcome genuine parking problems in the past. All help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Provide your guarantee, then cover your ass by writing into any of your contracts that it's agreed not to block that driveway - pass it down the line.

Any sort of conflict just gets these bloody idiots into the orgasmic state that they thrive on, don't argue or disagree, just nod politely and say you understand. There's a story there, but it's too long winded.

Think of it as two seperate things, 1) you need to get your work done and 2) dealing with any problems thereafter

And a bottle of wine or bunch of flowers can smooth things out if they crop up...

Provide your guarantee, then cover your ass by writing into any of your contracts that it's agreed not to block that driveway - pass it down the line.

Any sort of conflict just gets these b****y idiots into the orgasmic state that they thrive on, don't argue or disagree, just nod politely and say you understand. There's a story there, but it's too long winded.

Think of it as two seperate things, 1) you need to get your work done and 2) dealing with any problems thereafter

And a bottle of wine or bunch of flowers can smooth things out if they crop up...

Good suggestions Turpin.

Theres always one...this applies to planners and objectors :confused:

I would agree to provide a guarantee, that none of the flat holders will block the objectors drive..as it will be written into the contract upon purchase and there will be a few large signs in the flats car park outlining DO NOT PARK ->

Of course, in reality it is very hard to legislate for some 'random' parking on the persons drive, and this in reality is for her to sort out, but a written guarantee that no flat owners will block the drive, would cover you I would guess.

A sketch of the layout would be helpful and also, how many flats are there going to be?
The odds of it being blocked go up greatly with 40 flats as opposed to 6 flats for example!

Thanks guys. I'm pretty new to this forum but will try get some sketches uploaded if that is possible. However, it's a conversion into 5 flats, with 8 parking spaces and plenty room for more if we were allowed them (though not sure we will be).

Maybe I should add that it is a PRIVATE driveway that I own. For added info, my neighbour does have a legal right to use our drive for her vehicle to then leave her vehicle on her own drive.

The Councillors concern was POST-CONSTRUCTION i.e. that once the flats are built that one of the occupiers of the flats will leave a vehicle blocking her access to/from her drive - even though we have parking in line with Highways/Planning requirements.

Does anyone think a covenant would be the answer? Just seeing how ridiculous the Councillor was would still make me think he would counter that it still couldn't physically prevent someone from parking there.

Given that it is a private driveway, does anyone know whether parking laws still apply i.e. police involvement - I would imagine that they do not. Again, i will research this weekend.

We're also looking at design issues to try free space outside her property and plant some sort of security post, so that nobody else could park.

Will try upload pics tomorrow.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
The possible parking across a driveway is not a planning concern, and it is wrong for the councilor to even consider it.

In effect he his trying to pre-empt a possible highways offence and base a planning decision on that, which is totally outside of the planning decision remit.

He may as well say that when the flats are converted, there might be a neighbour dispute and someone may murder someone else, and so its not a good idea to build the flats

If the off-road or on-road parking space issue has been addressed and considered as part of the application and deemed acceptable, then that is it

Blocking a driveway is a Police matter. If there is a dropped kerb, then the blocking vehicle is causing and obstruction, and the land owner contacts the Police.

Just give your personal assurances to the councilor, humbly will help his ego, and then get the permission. Your assurances are totally unenforceable afterwards. Don't be confrontational, be firm, but let the councilor impose his authority and thats it. Don't get his back up, or the others may close ranks.

As an aside, you experience is not unique. The planning committees are made up by people who have not got any clue about planning issues, but see it as a little power trip for them, with little consideration to the development once completed.

To an extent, that also applies to planning officers. lol

Blocking a private driveway is only illegal if a vehicle is blocked in, otherwise the police can do nothing. You cannot guarantee that no-one will block it as any idiot could come along at any time. It's an unreasonable demand.

As for the planning consent, see how it goes. If they refuse or set unreasonable conditions just appeal it. The appeal process is completely independant of the local authority and the appeal inspector has the final say.

how do you stop her from blocking your drive now ? same argument really

Blocking a driveway is not necessarily a Police matter.

If the driveway is private land then that is dealt with under civil law not the Road Traffic Act, which does deal with unnecessary obstruction, parking on a pavement etc.

The Police may check the vehicle details to ensure it is not stolen, and MAY contact the registered owner to resolve a dispute on a Public Road.

If its private - forget it. The Police have no power to do anything with regards the obstruction.

i have an idea which may be feasible. Could you agree as a gesture of good will to install a drop down bollard which would then be given over to the owner. (If road is adopted its a no go?)

i have an idea which may be feasible. Could you agree as a gesture of good will to install a drop down bollard which would then be given over to the owner. (If road is adopted its a no go?)

Do try to keep up.
it was

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:23

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back