Loft Problems for a new member (advice needed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok first of all what a great site, really helpful

Now my problem

I have a 1898 mid terraced house,up in the loft there is no floor insulation ,and no felt under the slates(dirty as hell).I am going to have a bigger loft hatch fitted and try to make the loft more assessible for storage.I know i will have to fit insulation between joists ,and i am planning to board the floor area.My problem is how to make the roof insulated and dust proof without the cost of a re roof.Would the kingston insulation be ok to put under the roof timbers ,by that i mean under the rafters ,will this be ok for airflow and condensation,or would it be ok to insulate between the rafters with a 50mm gap?.I was hoping to plasterbord the attic out to make it look better .Hope i,ve explained my problem and thank anyone for advice on this matter thanks

Sponsored Links
Am a tad confused as to what you intend to use loft for!
If it is to be used for storage then don't understand why you would want it insulated (unless you are intending to store cold sensitive items, like the wife' up there).
If on the other hand it is going to double up as your 'den' then you can do either of your own suggestions without compromising the integrity of the space. That said there is no real alternative to unerslaters felt for adding that extra waterproofing barrier under the lath and on the rafters.

I have been told that it wil continue to get dusty (black sooty stuff)if i dont do something under the slate roof(hope this clears things up)

I have been told that it wil continue to get dusty (black sooty stuff)if i dont do something under the slate roof(hope this clears things up)

Unless there is a problem with an active flue/chimmney (i.e. one that is leaking fumes and soot) that is all you will get.......a bit of dust......not something to get to excited about.
Plasterboarding the rafters with foil backed boards will certainly clean up the loft space without creating any moisture retention problems.

Sponsored Links
so no real need to insulate between or under the rafters? Thanks by the way for your continued help

Only reason for putting any insulation in would be for your comfort whilst in the loft.......it's certainly not needed for any other reason (heat loss in the house will be controlled by the insulation you are intending to put under the loft boarding.

Up the Villa :D

Cheers for the replies,so brown paper seems the way to go ,i,ve tried searching for suppliers but cant seem to find where to buy ,can anyone point me in the right direction.Thanks again for all your help glad i found the site.And aspley why did they let the freak score last night?? lol

If your going to go to the effort of putting up brown paper (Which I hate as its not exactly fire retardent is it??)

You may as well opt for some of the foil sided bubble style insulation instead. It will be fire retardent to BS standards, and also add some nsulation to the loft space. and solve your dirt issue all in one application.

If your going to go to the effort of putting up brown paper (Which I hate as its not exactly fire retardent is it??)

You may as well opt for some of the foil sided bubble style insulation instead. It will be fire retardent to BS standards, and also add some nsulation to the loft space. and solve your dirt issue all in one application.

I tend to agree...........something more substantial than brown paper is worth the effort!
The Villa wuz robbed :(

Now im confused (had it all sussed out or so i thought).is this the stuff you mean?
http://www.roof-solutions.co.uk/ourshop_158894_22487.html

And will it be ok for the condensation (which i may or maynot get)

And is there a cheaper product than the one i found?
thanks for the continued help lads
This will do the job in the sense that it will contain the dust, provide a modest level of insulation and help create a clean storage environment . As lofts are more often than not draughty, moisture retention either side of the barrier will not be a problem.
A cheaper and more substantial option remains lining the rafters with plasterboard. A solution using plasterboard would work out at circa £36 for 30m2 coverage.

I have looked at the plasterboard option ,would i need the foil backed stuff to be on the safe side?.Thanks aspley your not a bad lad for a villa fan lol

I have looked at the plasterboard option ,would i need the foil backed stuff to be on the safe side?.Thanks aspley your not a bad lad for a villa fan lol
It will give a vapour check but at twice the price of ordinary board your budget will decide if it's worth it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back