Storage Heater not working!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some help regarding a Creda storage heater (white meter). The model is 79047B, but when I searched for this on the Creda website it said that the code was not recognised. The unit was probably installed around 1991/92 when the flat was built.

Firstly, let me make you aware that I'm not clued up on these things so you'll have to bear with me!

I have two storage heaters in my flat, one in the living room and one in the hall, and last week the one in the hall stopped working.

A similar problem happened a few years ago when both units stopped storing heat overnight and this was due to a stopclock in my electricity cupboard not working. This was replaced free of charge and the units have worked ok ever since.

Two events happened just before the heater broke down -

1 - The trip switch for our kitchen triggered about this time. I reset it and everything worked fine. I don't think this is related in any way, but I noticed that someone made reference to this on a previous thread regarding storage heater problems.

2 - The air vent on the heater was covered for a short period of time. Do these type of units have internal trip switches that are activated to switch the heater off if the vent is blocked? If so, how easy is it to reset the switch? Or do you have to replace a part?

I've altered the thermostat on the unit and also turned it off and on at the wall, but no change. I've also checked the mains supply and the electricity meter and everything is on and seems fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can only offer amateur suggestions.

Firstly check all obvious fuses and the plug spur that the heater is 'plugged' into and make sure the connections are ok.

On an old storage heater of mine many years ago, they had a fuseable link internally. This was designed to blow/melt when heater over heated especially when the vents got covered by something. It obviously prevented the heater from catching fire. These links would have to be replaced as they were not re-setable.

I suspect that your heaters are more modern than that and will probably have re-setable links. The problem is finding them. They are normally accessible without taking the casing off, but not always, as if you make it too easy to reset, you might just keep putting things over the vents again. There should be one somewhere, good luck looking :)

I originally posted this message a year ago and managed to get the heater working by replacing the thermal fuselink.

The heater is now on the blink again, but Im not sure what the problem is this time. A couple of days ago a strange grinding noise that lasted for 2-3 seconds came from the hall. I thought nothing of it at the time but the heater has cooled down ever since, so I can only assume this is related.

I know this is a long shot............but does anyone have any idea what the problem might be??

Sponsored Links
Could it have been your neighbours drilling? And they went too far . . . into the back of your heater . . . :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back