key snapped off in lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cylinder lock with key snapped off inside it, at least 2mm inside, no chance of gripping it.
Tried hitting the lock to move the stub enough to grip it; not a chance.
I can only see 2 screws on the side of the lock, but lock won’t budge when I undo these. Most locks I have seen have at least 3 screws, where is the last one likely to be hidden? There is a cover around the lock on the outside, what is the likelihood that it is under there? As it is accessible from the outside I have not undone it yet as the screws that hold this in place are hard to get to and painted over so many times that the thread is hardly visible.
No brand name on the lock, looks rather old and cheap.
Would have happily broken the old piece of junk out and replaced with good quality new one but practical reasons make this the last option unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
if you undo the screws on the edge of the door the lock should slide towards the edge releasing from the luggs on the back plate!!

perhaps its painted into position and needs a [sidways]tap to loosten it!!

Have you tried using a Magnet to help get it out?

Or a paper clip with a very small amount of super glue on it...

Could try a spare key from the opposte side too.... or something longer and thinner to push it back...

do you mean it's a yale-type nightlatch?

If it has two screws into the door edge and none on the body of the lock facing into the room, then it will be slid onto a metal plate underneath, which is itself screwed to the inside face of the door. In this case, undo the two edge screws, and tap the latch body towards the edge of the door, this will free it from the retaining lugs. Once the body is off, you can undo the screws holding the cylinder to the backing plate, pull the cylinder off to the outside, and you will see a slit in the plug of the cylinder that you can poke with a thin wire. Or buy a new cylinder for negligible cost.

If that's not right, post a pic.

Sponsored Links
Took the screws out again and gave it a gentle tap. Nothing
A firm tap nothing. Nothing.
But a good whack did the job. Cheers mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back