Help, Undercoat, Primer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm just in the process of stripping the wall paper off in my lounge. Once all the paper and glue has been removed i'll do any minor filling repair work using polyfiller and then sand the walls. Then i plan to wash the walls to make sure all dust has been removed.

So heres where i need some help.

The walls are in quite good condition so i plan to paint them. As far as i can tell the walls have never been painted.

What should i use as an undercoat / primer?

Should i try Polycell basecoat?
http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_basecoat.html

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
matt emulsion, thinned with water in accordance with the instructions on the tin for the first (mist) coat. Dulux Trade Supermatt is a good one.

An advantage of giving a couple of coats of white before your finish colour is that the even surface will highlight any remaining blemishes, which you can patch and repaint.

BTW I like to use a broad scraper on walls, rather than sandpaper (also to remove old paste, after wetting). I prefer finish plaster to polyfilla, it is easier to apply and smooth (also cheaper). You can apply it with a broad knife to level it against the wall on each side of the crack or hole.

Thanks John.

Even tho the wall is in good condition (But does need some filling and repair work) As long as i spend a while sanding to remove lumps and bumps then use matt emulsion i should be ok yes?

I just thought that some sort of "thicker" primer would be required to hide any imperfections.

Thanks for the advice.

before you paint it, you will prepare the wall so it has no imperfections!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back