Sealing joints on 1 1/4" threaded iron pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Hopefully a nice easy question.

I've (very) limited experience of working with iron pipework and am experiencing a problem when it comes to joining two old cast iron radiators.

I thought that liquid PTFE would do the job but even after leaving it over night this failed dismally! Part of the problems I am experiencing relate to the fact that to connect the radiators together you have to screw the threaded pipe into one before unscrewwing it half way so it screws into the other, I hope that made sense!

Obviously using PTFE tape wouldn't really work because of the tightening and then loosening of the pipe into the radiator. The only other thing I can think of would be to use Loctite 55, is this what you guys would recommend?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
As a retired maintenance fitter couldn't you use a barrel nipple & pipe union all with tapered threads, normal PTFE tape shouldn't leak. Holds steam so should be OK on hot water.

boss white

put it on the female threads too (it gets wiped off the male as you screw it in)

I suggest you use a locknut and Dowty washer arrangement so you can screw the locknut and washer back up once you've screwed your connector nto both rads.

Sponsored Links
Seem to remrmber you have special l/hand right hand nipples in those beasts...that locks them together ;)

boss white and hemp would be my choice.

loctite 55 is not bad but not as good as boss white and hemp.

In my humble non plumber opinion.

I swear by this stuff ;)

p1941335_l.jpg

Guys,

Hopefully a nice easy question.

I've (very) limited experience of working with iron pipework and am experiencing a problem when it comes to joining two old cast iron radiators.

I thought that liquid PTFE would do the job but even after leaving it over night this failed dismally! Part of the problems I am experiencing relate to the fact that to connect the radiators together you have to screw the threaded pipe into one before unscrewwing it half way so it screws into the other, I hope that made sense!

Obviously using PTFE tape wouldn't really work because of the tightening and then loosening of the pipe into the radiator. The only other thing I can think of would be to use Loctite 55, is this what you guys would recommend?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

Reading between the lines I gather you are joining the sections of two rads together, is that correct.

Assume the above to be true then you don't use anything only a gasket, after you have cleaned both surfaces.

The tool you need is a radiator bar, which slides between the sections, to start you engage both nipples so they are just on the threads, then you offer the other section up and turn the bar so the nipple pulls the other section in, do top and bottom a bit at a time, when hand tight you can torque them up depending on the radiator spec.

Easy when you know how :LOL: :LOL:

I took the question to be piping between 2 rads. It isn't very clear.

It certainly isn't JonB, i took
Part of the problems I am experiencing relate to the fact that to connect the radiators together you have to screw the threaded pipe into one before unscrewwing it half way so it screws into the other, I hope that made sense!
to mean he was using a barrel nipple and halving the joint, instead of the left and right thread nipple which he should be using to pull the section together :LOL: :LOL:

Watertight can you clarify what you are trying to do, a sketch or photo maybe.

CLF-Gas......

How good is that Loctite? Have seen it but never used it.....is is better than the good old PTFE?

When wrapping around the male part of the thread, does the cord go in between the lower points of the thread, or does it not matter where it goes?

Cheers

Have a look here :arrow: http://www.loctite55.co.uk/

How good is that Loctite?

Never had a leak of any sort on a thread since I started using it.

Have seen it but never used it.....

Try it you wont be disapointed ;)

is is better than the good old PTFE?

I believe so, still use ptfe for comp fittings though.

When wrapping around the male part of the thread, does the cord go in between the lower points of the thread, or does it not matter where it goes?

Not good to wrap in the valley of thread only, find it is pushed out. Do as in the video but forget about roughing the thread, never needed to do this.

Bottoms up :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back