Hoover soft wave washer dryer 1100 NO POWER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
my WM doesn't start, when I checked the plug was a bit black (burned) inside.
I cut it out and refit a new one with new fuse but WM does not respond at all.
Checked plug, socket, fuse etc...
During these days the place has been very dusty, it could be a cause.

Please help

Sponsored Links
I've also checked the mains filter and seems to be ok.
what else should I check.
thanx
burro

How do I check that?
The WM allows me to open and close the door, but when I turn it on nothing happens.

Thanks
Burro

Sponsored Links
To examine door switch. Power off at mains/unplug. Remove clamp from tub gasket around door. Peel back gasket near to door catch. Remove two screws holding on door catch - but before unscrewing them place a bit of tape over recessed nuts to prevent them falling out. You will have to do this blind. Swing out door catch assembly. Frequently a wire has come off , is burnt or the switch is fried. Switch available from Maplin. If switch needs replaced release entire assembly from machine. At rear where cable fits to back of tub, door latch button and tube from water level switch. You can buy the whole assembly as a unit but it is not worth it. The switch is a as tandard industry type though original ones for Hoover were never up to the job. I took mine from an old Creda tumble drier.

To test main switch power off remove leads from switch, join connecting wire between connectors making sure it is kept away from metal of machine and you. try programmes again.

First of all,
thanks for finding the time to help me.

I've tried to check the door switch but I cannot see anything as it's well hidden.
I touched the 2 wires and they feel ok.

I didn't quite understrand the procedure to test the main..
Do I need to bypass the Mains filter? If so...
I did it but still no power.

Thanks
Burro

Do you have a multimeter to use to check the operation of the mains switch or the door microswitch.

Yes, I have a multimeter but I am not sure how to use it...
what do I need to do?

thanks

Should you really be tackling this job?

Connect leads of multimeter into holes of instrument that have symbols that show resistance. Set knob to range for resistance. When end of leads are connected together resistance should show zero showing that there is continuity along the wires. Do this on the switches of washing machine. POWER OFF!!!!!! Pull off leads to switch. When any switch is operated the resistance should read zero when switch is closed showing that current can pass through the switch. When switch is open - resistance on multimeter should read 1. If you operate the switch and it shows no continuity then it is faulty.

TESTED,
Following your precious advice, the switch sounds ok,
so...
switch ok
mains filter ok.. what's next.

Thanks
Burro

Have you checked that the main on/off switch is working and that the door interlock switch is also working? The wires to the interlock might be OK but the switch itself can fry with the result that it can fail in the open position or in the closed position(not in your case).

Can you check that when the door is closed it properly activates the interlock switch. Sometimes the protrusion on the door can wear or break and fail to engage the lever to activate the interlock switch.

Have you tried disconnecting the switch assembly from behind the door as suggested earlier to examine it..

Are all the edge connectors pushed fully home on the timer board?

Does this softwave have a electronic or mechanical timer?

Does the machine do anything if knob turned.

IMPORTANT!Can you check that power is entering the machine at the rear where live and neutral cables enter the machine otherwise the advice above is wasted.The softwave is a great machine and it should soldier on for many years.

Still nothing.
I am going back to the interlock switch.
I've tested the switch itself and is OK,

Being an old model I suppose the TIMER is manual.

What else?

Many thanks...
Burro

Burro

Back to basics. Was the fuse blown in the plug or not? Check that there is power at the socket. Plug in another appliance such as lamp and wiggle plug in case you have a dodgy wall socket.

Is fuse in plug OK despite the fact you replaced it and is it tightly fitting. Check fuse for continuity or try fuse in another appliance.

Check if mains voltage at rear of machine where it enters the machine. Then check that there is power at either side of the on/off switch when it is activated. Use appropriate settings/lead sockets on multimeter. Be ULTRA careful when machine is switched on.

If there is power to here then that is a good sign.

I am not familiar with washer dryer but on washing machine neutral goes through door microswitch. If this switch is not working the machine will act dead. I don't know how you checked the microswitch but we need to be sure it activates when door closes. I would pull the wires off the switch and join a wire between them making very sure all the connectors are insulated and cannot touch metalwork. This will ensure a path for neutral irrespective if switch working or not.

Let me know how you get on.

Tried them all, and guess what..?

NOTHING
I am starting to lose it, I know the best advice would be .. get a new one.

tried the switch on door lock, mains filter ok, fuse plug, socket Ok...
still no sign of life.

Thanks
Burro

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back