new cooker hood spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need to add a spur to my cooker circuit. the circuit currently feeds my freestanding electric cooker but is soon to be replaced by a built in cooker which can be plugged in by a 13amp plug.

I need to add a fused spur for my cooker hood; the cable which will feed the spur is 6mm. Do i carry on with 6mm for my spur even though I am only feeding my cooker hood (3amp fused) or can I step down a size and spur off with 4mm?

Hope someone can lead me in the right direction!

JS

Sponsored Links
Standard answer here is you can't do anything as you are not qualified.

Anyway 4mm is OK

please define "cooker" as you use it.. do you mean oven, as a cooker with electric hob will need much more that 13A..

as for part P.. there is no such qualification it's a building regulation

ignore mrgtv's comment, you do not have to have formal qualifications to do electrical work for non-profit.. just a level of competence that ensures the job is done safely and correctly

you are more that welcome to do any electrics you want in your home providing that you notify the LABC of the things that need notifying ( this is what part P defines.. see the WIKI for more information on Part P.. ), and that you do the work correctly and safely..

the LABC will send someone round to check that you are doing it right, after the first fix stage before you plaster over the cables and such, and test the work for you once you're done..

Sponsored Links
please define "cooker" as you use it.. do you mean oven, as a cooker with electric hob will need much more that 13A..

as for part P.. there is no such qualification it's a building regulation

ignore mrgtv's comment, you do not have to have formal qualifications to do electrical work for non-profit.. just a level of competence that ensures the job is done safely and correctly .

Carefully read my post again and then re-read your post.

The OP does not have "a level of competence that ensures the job is done safely and correctly" which is why he is asking the question.

Note to the OP, you may have "a level of competence that ensures the job is done safely and correctly" once your question has been answerd :D

He may indeed, provided his questions are answered by someone who has a level of competence that ensures the question is answered correctly.

4mm² on the load side of a 3A FCU?

1mm² will be fine for that, or 1.5mm² to cater for any sized fuse that may be put in the FCU in future.

Lets get this right then!!

I am a motorways engineer and have experience in installing and connecting up electrical circuits and carrying out electrical testing. I was asking the question as this is a forum which gives advice and I needed some advice so the smarmy comments don't help.

I am installing a new electric oven, the hob will be gas. I have a cooker feed from a 32 amp breaker on 6mm cable to my 45A cooker switch and crabtree. I have been informed that I can change my cooker switch for a double socket and then simply plug my 13amp plug in for the new oven.

Correct???

I was a bit worried about spuring from the circuit with 2mm cable as the circuit runs off 6mm. Does this matter?

Hope someone can help.

JS

I am installing a new electric oven, the hob will be gas. I have a cooker feed from a 32 amp breaker on 6mm cable to my 45A cooker switch and crabtree. I have been informed that I can change my cooker switch for a double socket and then simply plug my 13amp plug in for the new oven.

Correct???
Yes.

I was a bit worried about spuring from the circuit with 2mm cable as the circuit runs off 6mm. Does this matter?
You said "I need to add a fused spur for my cooker hood; the cable which will feed the spur is 6mm". I didn't say you could use 1/1.5mm² to supply the FCU.

On the load side of the FCU the cable only needs to be rated for a maximum of 13A, as that is the largest fuse you can put in.

It looks like I have confused a few ppl here! I'm sorry!!

I am going to spur for my hood from the ring main. So 1.5mm will be ok for that and then stick a 3 amp FCU on the spur?

Can you please stop using (as I think you are) "spur" to mean, at various times, the cable supplying the FCU, the FCU itself, and the cable from the FCU to the appliance....

I need to add a fused spur for my cooker hood; the cable which will feed the spur is 6mm.
I am going to spur for my hood from the ring main.
Is your ring final really wired in 6mm²?

I don't suppose there's much point asking why you at first said "the cable which will feed the spur is 6mm", and then "I was a bit worried about spuring from the circuit with 2mm cable as the circuit runs off 6mm" when in fact you were intending to spur from a 2.5mm² ring final...

Anyway - if you can, put the FCU onto the ring. If you can't, and the run is short and unlikely to get damaged, use 2.5mm² from a socket or JB to the FCU.

From the FCU to the hood you can use 1.5mm² if you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back