Slate Roof Verge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well....what a mess I made of that...

I am extending a timber frame/studwork shed, turning the whole thing into a workshop, but the more I did, the better it got, so I thought I could use it for my office.

The problem is, although I was originally going to felt the roof, so it is all nicely decked out with plywood, with fascias and bargeboards fitted with nice smooth corners........I have now acquired 500 Eternit slates...

.....I'm an architect by profession, but having spent more years in construction and am pretty good with most tools (plastering leaves something to be desired)............but do you think how I can work out the detail where a mortar bedded verge (using offcut slates as an undercloak) meets the fascia (and the plastic underlay tray) without it looking a 'b'?

Any ideas? J A

Sponsored Links
you could have kept the barge board up to the top of batten then not bedded the verge..

you could have kept the barge board up to the top of batten then not bedded the verge..

Yep.....I would have done that, if the roof hadn't already been prepared for a felt finish.....but.........

I suppose I could add a, say, 60mm PSE batten to the bargeboard, like a 'trim', which goes up to the underside of the slates (omitting the undercloak) and covering the the batten ends......and a small 'wedge' at the bottom end where it meets the fascia to account for the change in angle of the eaves course / underlay tray.

Easier and less messy than a mortar verge.

Thanks for the thought.

JA.

Sponsored Links
Would you bother to scribe the 'batten' to the u/s of the slates and/or seal it with some mastic?

JA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back