baxi 105e instant flame failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Both dhw and ch will run (after being reset) when the system is cold but then they begin to get a little flaky. Water will not run for more than a few minutes in dual mode if heating has been on. Nor will it run in water only mode if switched over. My daughter is waiting for a shower as I type this in and wife has spit the dummy out.

The central heating tends to run fine for a while from cold but is very unpredictable and can disable itself at any given moment

I have replaced the overheating sensor as a precaution in the hope that this was the problem but have not gottten any nearer to solving the problem.

The led indicates flame failure and any hope of it switching over automatically from hot water to c/h has long since evaporated.

is it likely to be the heat exchanger :?:

Sponsored Links
You need an RGI to check the low and high gas pressures (more likely to be the low one from experience).

105 is a combi, it does not run in dual mode.
how old is it?
when was last service?

105 is a combi, it does not run in dual mode.
how old is it?
when was last service?
Thanks for the reply. Yes I know it's a combi what I meant by dual mode was central heating with the option of hot water as opposed to hot water only. It's about 4 years old and I must admit that it has never had a service.

Having said that it has run in ch mode all night and has not packed in yet.
I also managed a shower this morning no problem. It just acts up when you try to change the function i.e. switch on a tap.

Thanks again for replying there have 56 views so far and only two people with time to spare- bear with me on the lack of technical jargon. I'm not a muppet - just looking for likely answer to the problem.

Sponsored Links
[quoteYou need an RGI to check the low and high gas pressures (more likely to be the low one from experience).]

Thanks Timmy 74

Is this likely to mean a new pcb? kicking myself if it is because one went on ebay last night - £45.00 new. as a buy it nowitem.[/quote]

it could be a number of things like the, fsd, condensate sensor, flu sensor, etc ..if i were you id get someone out to check it .trying to solve the problem yourself could be dangerous in more ways than one i.e your daughter might kill you if she dont get a hot shower soon.

A very common problem on your model is just a simple gas adjustment or sensor adjustment.

However due to poor diagnostic skills many PCBs are changed first before the real fault is found. As its the customer paying thats not very important to the engineer!

Tony

A very common problem on your model is just a simple gas adjustment or sensor adjustment.

Thanks for that Tony. But could you explain why the boiler fires up when it has been reset after having cooled down? Just for my peace of mind.

By the way I have read lots of comments that you have made on different threads. My mate has a Biasi and it has been fine - he swears by it.
[/quote]

Is this likely to mean a new pcb? kicking myself if it is because one went on ebay last night - £45.00 new. as a buy it nowitem.

fleabay pcbs are not alwasy a good idea. been numerous posts on here from people who had a problem "that could not be the pcb"as it was already changed. 20 posts later in turns out they got a discount one.

Well, to be honest, you have already been given some clues, have you acted upon them? Or would you like us to list everything that it possibly could be...If that is so then by all means fit a new PCB if that makes you happy.. I would systematically work through the boiler until I actually find the problem or eliminate everything else until all the evidence points to one thing... One of the first things that I would do is check the gas pressures...as has already been suggested...Why.. Well it is a simple check, can cause problems if it is wrong and a lot cheaper than throwing parts at the thing.. does the boiler try to light again... Spark? starts to light and then goes out? Fan running? pump running? Thermistors within tolerance? Flow switches being activated correctly?

Fixing boilers is not just a matter of changing parts until it works.

It is a matter of diagnosing what the fault really is and then taking appropriate action to fix it.

Tony

Your boiler manual will have the best pointer to your problem, fault finding will be in the pages at the back follow your boilers fault and nine times out of ten it will get you there, good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back