Baxi Bermuda 552 removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Baxi Bermuda 552 with an old *ugly* fire front, the Boiler unit is located in the chimney behind the firefront with the flue up the chimney.

Is it correct that I cannot remove the firefont as this would cause improper operation of the boiler itself and gas / poison us?

I am looking to do a lounge re-decorate and ditch the gas fire, create a false chimney breast and fit my LCD tv into it.

Simple option would be to remove the firefront (but not if it is unsafe of course) and leave the boiler behind, build the false chimney breast and re-decorate.

Other option would be to remove the lot, fit a new boiler in the loft and put an electric fire in the false chimney breast.

Ideally I would like to do this in 2 stages, 1) remove old firefront and create chimney breast and redecorate and then 2) rip out the boiler (provision to do this left by design of the false chimney breast) and fit the electric fire.

Mainly due to initial cost - I would prefer not to spend on the whole shabang up front and do the boiler in 12 months time, I have just finished a complete bathroom refit, bought my new kitchen and need to redecorate the rest of the house first.

Finally, what sort of a ballpark figure is realistic for a complete boiler / fire ripout, refit with a condensing in the loft (I am aware of regs for boarding and permanent access - I will diy this) - I want to retain an open-vented, fully pumped CH / HW system using the existing rads and circuits where possible, diverting the gas up an existing 'dry riser' we have up to the loft.

Thanks... Phew.

Sponsored Links
fire has to be in place to use the boiler.

boiler fire is whole unit, can not remove fire.
why or earth would you want to keep an open vent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back