Spillage test on back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to do a spillage test on a back boiler unit without removing the fire from the front? My grandmother has a prehistoric New World Stowaway & I'd like to test it regularly if possible. The boiler is serviced anually, & she has a CO detecter, but given the local seagulls habit of building nests on chimney stacks I thought it might be wise to keep an eye on it if it can be done using smoke matches etc.

Also, is there anywhere that parts are available for something this age. The piezo igniter electrode needs replacing. Alternatively, would it be OK to modify one from another boiler or make up a bracket for it, or would that be unacceptable.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to do a spillage test on a back boiler unit without removing the fire from the front? My grandmother has a prehistoric New World Stowaway & I'd like to test it regularly if possible. The boiler is serviced anually, & she has a CO detecter, but given the local seagulls habit of building nests on chimney stacks I thought it might be wise to keep an eye on it if it can be done using smoke matches etc.

Also, is there anywhere that parts are available for something this age. The piezo igniter electrode needs replacing. Alternatively, would it be OK to modify one from another boiler or make up a bracket for it, or would that be unacceptable.

Paul

Not properly & if you value your Grandmother & have any concerns call a Corgi person.That goes for any work that needs to be carried out on these open flued deathtraps.

Why don`t you convert to a room sealed boiler?

Because -
A) She hasn't got the money
B) She is 96 and I don't think ripping her house apart to install a modern boiler is practical

The boiler is corgi serviced anually - I was interested in doing extra checks between times - say monthly.

Because -
A) She hasn't got the money
B) She is 96 and I don't think ripping her house apart to install a modern boiler is practical

The boiler is corgi serviced anually - I was interested in doing extra checks between times - say monthly.

I understand your concerns, but there is really nothing that you can do as an untrained gas person to test this piece of equipment more than you are already doing apart from converting to a safer system.

Sponsored Links
You could probably get a smoke match into the draught divertor (with a bent holder)of a stowaway by just removing the fire case but would be difficult to see if it was being drawn properly also would you know what you where looking for or exactly where to put match its not just a case of sticking it anywhere..
Make sure CO detector is battery type and not those card ones.

Nothing up with adapting a piezo to fit onto boiler though.

[quote="namsag";

You could probably get a smoke match into the draught divertor (with a bent holder)of a stowaway by just removing the fire case but would be difficult to see if it was being drawn properly

It would be impossible not difficult.

also would you know what you where looking for or exactly where to put match its not just a case of sticking it anywhere..

No, he wouldn`t he`s not a trained gas person.

Make sure CO detector is battery type and not those card ones.
:rolleyes:

Nothing up with adapting a piezo to fit onto boiler though.

I wouldn`t advise touching these yourself without proper knowledge.

deleted - mod

Then you are a lazy Cowboy, probably a service Engineer on pricework.

Otherwise you would do your job properly.

Hang on, I think Bones has just withdrawn his last statement because he is a lazy Cowboy service Engineer on pricework. :eek:

get a grant to fit new boiler and maybe rads and pipework and take her out for the day.

And why wold it be impossible to do a stowaway

Because the poster probably wouldn`t know how to remove the firefront or even what a firefront is, never mind talking about a draught diverter :rolleyes:

Why , it is only a few screws to come out with no disruption to gas line and many people do it when decorating, and i have already pointed out he will not know what to look for, do you know what a stowaway looks like

For the record, :LOL: I love that word :LOL:

If any of you take the time to read the manufacturers instructions There is no provisions for a smoke test on these fires, or at least the earlier ones, I will dig out some later models.

Does the OP know the exact model number or GC number.

Models include 411 x 2, 412 x 3, 415 x 2, GIA, GL&L fire, GLS, & L, and probably loads more

jossper";p="810551 said:
Is it possible to do a spillage test on a back boiler unit without removing the fire from the front?

NO. Everybody happy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back