glow worm fuel saver mk2 clanking noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have glow worm fuel saver mk2 which is makes really loud clanking and banging noises followed by the noise travelling through pipes. The boiler shuts down after the noise.

Below is the sequence of events:
- My Ground floor heating was not working for sometime and had two leaking rads
- I decided to drain the rads and h/w tank
- replaced the rad valves
- Added one of the cleaning liquids to clean the system
- Refilled the system

After above I started to get clanking and loud banging which seem to trip the boiler.

I had BG engineer who replaced the motor and left. Said to my wife that's all is needed. The noise came back after 1 hr of him leaving.
Called them again and they are asking me to do power flush costing around £850 and replace the boiler cost £2500.

I think the boiler still has some life left and may be cleaning the system may help. I have since put two bottles of snintel 400 into the system. Noise still there and still cold freezing !!!!!!!!!! : :rolleyes:

Please Help

Sponsored Links
could be air or a blocked cold feed. did the header tank empty when you drained system

Sounds like the pump is away.

Thanks for your reply, The pump was replaced by BG in the first instance.
I can touch the pump and feel its working and when I change the speed it, can feel the change !

Sponsored Links
could be air or a blocked cold feed. did the header tank empty when you drained system

Yes the header tank did empty and even left it running to flush out any muck !

Partial or full blockage in the heat exchanger will be your problem. Remove it (or get someone that can) and clean it out. DS40 or D block will do it. Replace it and let me know know how your circulation is then.

Dave

Partial or full blockage in the heat exchanger will be your problem. Remove it (or get someone that can) and clean it out. DS40 or D block will do it. Replace it and let me know know how your circulation is then.

Dave

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry what is DS40 or D block and where can I get it !

When you say you changed rad valves, did you fit TRVs? If so, have you left a bypass radiator?

Is there a bypass? Ive has one of these banging around due to the bypass pipe being closed and all rads had trvs

When you say you changed rad valves, did you fit TRVs? If so, have you left a bypass radiator?

Is there a bypass? Ive has one of these banging around due to the bypass pipe being closed and all rads had trvs

I did not fit TRVs but I am not sure which is the bypass rad. Where is the typical location.

If you dont have trvs then bypass radiator is irrelevant.

What type of system is it? Y plan or s plan?

Yep its a Y plan then.

For whatever reason the heated water isnt leaving the boiler and probably the cause of the banging.

Does it do it on HW, Ch or both.

Yep its a Y plan then.

For whatever reason the heated water isnt leaving the boiler and probably the cause of the banging.

Does it do it on HW, Ch or both.

I can feel the HW coming through the pipes around the pump and distributing after motorised valve in each direction.
But the banging is so loud that I have moved the thermo on the boiler to ver low and even switched it off at times. Just worried something else may break. Haven;t tested the system on full due to this banging.
Thanks,

vik2";p="812594 said:
petit_pablo";p="812590 said:
Yep its a Y plan then.

Another thing I want to check as I have played around with it:

- As the hot water pipe comes out of the Hot water storage cylinder ther is a valve and pipe continues to a T junction where one pipe is going towards my ground floor and the other joins the big pipe between the pump and motorised valve.

- In the middle of this there is a another valve, should this is open or closed ? please help

Dave

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry what is DS40 or D block and where can I get it !

Both are aggresive chemicals and only used with caution.

The heat exchanger on a glowworm has vey small water ways and is prone to a blockage. (Ihave cleaned one this year alredy).

Fortunately, they are so easy to remove and clean I generally get my apprentice to do that job nowadays.

As I speak I have my mothers heat ex in my garden fizzing away!

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back