The knack of Setting out brickwork square to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will a qualified brickie please advise the rules (cos without rules where would we be)

l am tired of arguing the toss with "conservatory base builders" who are constantly erecting out of true dwarf walls.

On a regular 3 waller I have advised ignoring the bendy house walls and setting the corners square (with a square) as well as measuring for parallel and diagonals, to make sure our frames fit.

But the "racketheye" guys seem to build the corners out of square so the new runs from the bendy house walls look square.

Sorry, please read that gibberish a few times before you guide me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
i guess a connie base needs to be square regardless of the house wall.

if we are adding an extension, and one elevation of the extension is parallel to the house and the other two follow the existing house walls in-line, then we usually have to follow the existing line.

even if the house is slightly diamond shaped. it would look dog-legged if we tried to square it up true.

if needs be, you can help to square the blockwork internally but only by a few mill.

if the job demanded, and the customer insisted, we do try and halve the difference. though most customers would choose what looks best.

I can't see how a house wall is going to be very far out in the 3-4m width of a conservatory, so it should be be no problem to form a parallel line off the existing elevation wall and then squaring back off this or squaring out off the building.

If there is an adjacent end elevation, then they can pull a line out off this too and then square off that.

Is also important to check the diagonals for squareness, and then jig the lines a bit if necessary

It's really basic stuff and if the guys can't handle it, then perhaps they should be relegated to manholes and get a new gang in?

Or can't you make the cill section and give them that to set out to?

I shudder to think how they will cope with a octagonal base, and I can just picture all those massive perp joints, and badly set out/gauged/leveled brickwork and compo all over the bricks and patio :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back