elbow joints and water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced my old galvanised steel tank and lead pipe with 25 gallon polythene and copper.

The cold feed was just a lead pipe from the underside of the tank which was bent 90 degrees over to the nearest wall, bent again to lead down the wall, bent under the bath and up to join with the bath tap. Wiped joint before the bath tap to tee off to the sink and loo. Water pressure wasn't great but it was ok.

Now I have a 22mm tank connector, staright out of the tank horizotally a couple of inches into a gate valve, straight on another couple of inches to an elbow turning left, then about a foot to an elbow turning down the wall. About a 9 foot vertical drop to another elbow turning from the vertical to horizontal under the bath. A 22mm tee under the bath connecting to a flexible tap connector with integrated valve to the bath tap. It then runs through a 22 to 15 adapter and I've just got a stop end on that for now as we're getting a new sink and loo.

Water pressure from the cold bath tap is definitely worse than before, I'm just wondering how much the 3 x 22mm elbow joints would affect this? They are all compresson, I don't have the tools nor the skills to bend or solder the 22mm pipe.

Sponsored Links
Some flex tap connector, the bore are too narrow for flow to run free. I always run all to tap in copper.
Make sure the gate valve are fully open as well the valve one flexible tap connector.
Did you use a PFTE tape for fitting? Sometime when winding PFTE around copper pipe, it get in way of pipe itself.

Airlock? Make sure the pipe is rising toward to the tank

Some flex tap connector, the bore are too narrow for flow to run free. I always run all to tap in copper.
Make sure the gate valve are fully open as well the valve one flexible tap connector.
Did you use a PFTE tape for fitting? Sometime when winding PFTE around copper pipe, it get in way of pipe itself.

Airlock? Make sure the pipe is rising toward to the tank

flex tap connector, sounds possible, might try that. thanks.
Valves are open.
Used PFTE, 3 turns, but was prety careful with it.
Don't think there's an airlock, very short single run at present.

Do you think the 3 compression elbows could have a noticeble effect on 22mm pipe? Coupled with the fact that the tank is only 25G and about 8 feet above the taps?

By what you saying, you run from tank to bath in 22mm and only 3 bends, not really any noticeble effect. I did a new bathroom and the tank is sited about 9m away 8 feets high, I used 22mm copper pipes all the way to bath with a dozen of bend, brill flow with no problem.

I don't use a flexible tap connector as they are a waste of time and money, because of narrow bore and get soften when running hot water.

I suggest running all the way to tap in copper.

What sort of tap you have? Some taps are for combi, I think.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, just wanted to hear someone say that the elbows should be ok.
The're very old basic bath taps, nothin fancy. They'll be replaced soon though so I'll try without the flex fittings then and see how it goes.

another problem with flex fittings i find is after a while taps are more prone to movement

The're very old basic bath taps, nothin fancy. They'll be replaced soon though so I'll try without the flex fittings then and see how it goes.
they`ll be large bore taps then :!: Beware new ones ...they`ve mostly got small bores :cry: and even *without * the flexi connector which IS the problem now...you`ll be back to square 1 :oops:

they`ll be large bore taps then :!: Beware new ones ...they`ve mostly got small bores :cry: and even *without * the flexi connector which IS the problem now...you`ll be back to square 1 :oops:

Blimey, it's a minefield!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back