Extending Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to extend my electrical system and would like advice on how to connect a supplementary switch fuse. Does it connect through the existing consumer unit or direct from the meter. if so is it acceptable to use a baco-lite connection box my side of the consumer unit to split the supply to the existing and new units?
Any suggestions or advice?

Sponsored Links
Do you still need help with this??? as the original question is two months old.

Not urgent any more but advice would still be appreciated-electricity boards seem to be very unhelpfull-it seems like the best thing is to do something and see if they,ll connect it-but I,m not convinced they know any more than me a lot of the time.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a split load board or RCD of any type? If so and you'll still be under your consumer unit's RCD's rated current capacity, run extra tails from the RCD to your new board & rearrange the trips to suit. An electrical wholesaler will sell you the copper bus bars for about £1 each if you change your configuration. Simply cut them to size.
If no RCD / split load, you can use bakerlite connections (the board do) between the meter and the consumer units, but you'll need to remove the main fuse - the one with a seal on it - to do this safely as this is the only way to turn off the power! The board will then think you've been stealing electricity, so you'll need to make it obvious that you've taken it out to add stuff, and then they'll want you to prove it's up to regulations...
If it's an old fashioned board with no RCD, I'd recommend changing it regardless of physical size. (about £100 all in) You still have to remove the fuse - unless you're really good at working with live 100A cables - but it's easier to show the electric board your gleaming new consumer unit!!
Let me know if I can help you with anything..

Whats the procedure for replacing consummer unit?
Do we notify the electricity board before opening up their seal or just notify them when we want it re-sealed again?

Following yesterdays general rant....
This post is based on MY experience with UK power suppliers, and should only be taken as MY preferred method of doing things, not absolute gospel. If you undertake anywork using my comments for guidance, please bear in mind that at best I can give suggestions not complete instructions....

I tend to do the work and then get the board in after I'm done. As there is a test notice the board are usually quite happy that the seals are broken for legitimate reasons and will just reseal.

The board used to get really agitated about seals but these days with power companies changable nearly a fast as a light bulb, no one can keep tracks of who has done what where. Add to that meter readers being contracted and having rounds requiring them to read in the region of 350 meters a day (that's about every 90 seconds) to make £13000. Hence they'll be in and out as quick as possible and won't care two hoots unless it is blatently obvious you've by-passed the meter or refuse them access repeatedly.

Without a test notice the board will usually do a visual check to see that work has been carried out, and may well look inside the consumer unit to verify the job was done in a reasonable manner, before they seal.

As for doing the job, I would cut the tag on the main incoming fuse and remove the fuse before I start work. Then i'd remove the tails from the Consumer unit. To make sure I am safe from helpful people putting the fuse back in whilst I am not looking (customers / kids have done this) I would fit backerlite tail connectorblocks to the ends of the tails. If the job is going to take a while or I have to work in the dark, I would connect a RCD'd fused 4 gang socket bank on tails to the backerlite connectors so I can run work lights and a kettle! I would make sure the tails connectors and 4 gang were all clipped together and to a wall or floor so I didn't damage it with clumsy feet. Once the CU is changed I'd fit the tails and restore the power. If rewiring the entire property, I would change the consumer unit first.

Remove tags from meters only if you need to change the tails.

Hi
Am doing similar job. Just to be certain can you recommend specific connector product please? What sort of spec etc.

Also, what if I want to put external lights, a second electric shower, etc what is reasonable ampage. If the supply fuse is 80amp is this going to blow all the time?
[Edited by daibev on 24-12-2002 at 12:36 PM GMT]

[Edited by daibev on 24-12-2002 at 12:38 PM GMT]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back