Removal of Shower Drain Trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Advice please
I want to replace the drain trap on my shower.
I have access to it ok and can remove the connecting pipes ok.
However its impossable to move the the old screw waste connection with the silly plastic key provided. Its in solid and need something to break the seal. Where can I find a metal key and what solvant can i use
(plusgas?) to free it up. I do not want to remove the shower tray or damage it in any way.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Difficult to visualise what you have. Can you post a link to a pic or find something similar on the net?

Its like a 1 1/2 inch shower trap with top access McAlpine (This is the replacement unit )

http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/productlist.asp

The top is held in place by a waste flange which is threaded and fits through the shower tray, the top has 6 castle type indents which the fitting key fits into and is used to tighten the unit up.

However the plastic fitting key is completly ineffective in removeing the old installed unit and requires a much stronger metal key.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like someone has probably used silicone sealant to fix the flange in place. If do then you have zero chance of turning it.

You have two options:

1. Uncouple the waste pipework and rotate the trap instead of the flange.
2. Break up the flange and remove the bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back