Oven Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning in fit a 3.7kw oven. Hob will be gas.

Planning to run 2.5mm cable from 20A MCB to 20A DP switch (placed above worktop near hob).

- What type of cooker terminal outlet do I need? I've only seen 45A cooker outlet or a 13A FCU with nothing in between.

- Where is the best position to place the terminal outlet, directly behind the oven or behind another unit at the side.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
O.k your load will be just over 16amps, i would however use 4mm with a 20amp double pole switch. If it`s just as easy to, consider a deeper back box
to make terminating easier.

Position it easily within arms reach incase you need to urgently isolate it but obviously not to close to be affected by heat and fat residue.

Fit a cooker outlet behind the cooker itself. Connection will be 2.5mm cable, heat resistant will be best,

The cooker outlet connecion will probably be rated at 45A but that's OK. that just means it will handle up to 45A. The max you will be using is 20A because thats the rating for the CB in the consumer unit.

You cannot use a 13A FCU. The 3.7kw oven will pull up to 16A at full belt.

Hi, Guys,
I'm not having a go here... this is one of the most straightforward question & answer postings I've seen for a while. Your man seems to know, more or less, what he's doing and you/we have given a correct solution. Given this is, according to the 'rules' a special location and , therefore, notifiable work, I would genuinely like to know how the poster feels about the rules and how you/we feel about the fact that by offering the solution, we are going around them. I am very fed up with sorting out crap and often potentially lethal work by builders (Polish or otherwise) yet the purpose of the forum is to share knowledge. How would ther poster feel if we, or he gets it wrong?

Sponsored Links
After nearly 2000 helpful posts it becomes rather boring to keep putting "dont forget its notifiable" on more than 50% of my contributions.

I feel its the government's role to raise the awareness of their badly thought out legislation.
I feel its the government's role to police their badly thought out legislation.

I usually do include the notification Part P bit if the poster appears not to have much of a clue.

In any event. At the very top of this forum there is an entry marked

FAQ Read This First

When you go there, the very first thing you would see is:

Please also be aware of building regulation "part p" please click me
and a link.

I dont think anyone can do more than that on a free, Internet, advice forum where anything can be posted, right or wrong without any come back.

(Mind you, on this forum, any wrong advice is very soon stamped on.)!

Thanks Taylor...
I feel the same way too... and with apologies to original post (who appears to have his act together) I don't mind sharing knowledge. I see so much shoddy, incompetent and dangerous work that I don't like to add fuel to the fire. I agree that the gov has to make it's mind up. Most people respect the concept of CORGI yet you can still buy gas fittings in B&Q along with consumer units, electric showers etc etc. I just hope that when we say 'if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing this' posters pay attention!

Wow guys - I am only looking for a bit of friendly advice!!

I should have made in clear in my original post that I am from Scotland (look at my location in my profile) and (as far as I am aware) Part P does not apply.

Back to my original question. If run 4mm from a 20A MCB to the 20A DP switch and continue onto the terminal outlet, can I still use 2.5mm to connect the oven to the terminal outlet or does this need to be 4mm also?

You're right, Part P only applies in England and Wales.

I'd use 2.5mm² flex between the flex outlet and the oven.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back