Ideal Classic boiler making grinding noises

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 7 or 8 year old Ideal Classic fanned flue boiler which has this evening started making some horrid noises. It has been working fine through the day according to SWMBO and started suddenly.

It sounds like a spindle grinding - a fan perhaps. It's definitely not the pump as the noise is coming from inside the boiler.

Anybody got any ideas? And is it terminal? And should we be getting an emergency repairer out or can it wait until after the weekend?

Sponsored Links
certainly sounds like a fan issue, thanks for the repy.

Is it a big and or expensive job?
Is it an emergency job or can I leave it until after the weekend massive call out charge period?

If it slows up enough the boiler won't work. No point paying for a weekend callout when the part won't ne able to be ordered until monday anyway.
100 to 150 ish but it depends which classic it is

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help.

I think the boiler is an Ideal Classic FF2100

Depending where in surrey you live, contact Curzon at Hersham 01932 254460. Part no 111947 or gc no 308-536. Parts is £70.04+vat. They are open till 12. If not in stock they will be able to get one for Monday morn.

I had this exact same thing at my mother's house. My brother put a few drops of oil on the fan spindle and it's been fine for about three weeks so far. I don't suppose it's a permanent fix but it's eeking more life out of the existing fan.

Maybe the fan is a weak point,i relpaced about 5 or 6 fans,all on classics just before xmas.

Depending where in surrey you live, contact Curzon at Hersham 01932 254460. Part no 111947 or gc no 308-536. Parts is £70.04+vat. They are open till 12. If not in stock they will be able to get one for Monday morn.

For the ff 2 100?. I got part number 171462 listed.

Thanks for that info. Hersham is only a couple of miles away, but I know not how to fit the fan and am not Corgi reg (surprise surprise) so will have to get someone to do it.

Looks like I am looking at a min of £150 in this area. Need to find someone reliable to do the work - or call British Gas and get ripped off I guess.

or call British Gas and get ripped off I guess.

Mildly curious why you think this?, they will do a fixed price repair for about 150 quid with a 12 month guarantee. This may mean a strip and clean of the fan with a bit of lubricating if its all it needs or it would probably be replacement.

All the classic fans I've recently fitted come to either £220 or around £240 inc if your unlucky enough to have the rare and expensive one.

or call British Gas and get ripped off I guess.

Mildly curious why you think this?, they will do a fixed price repair for about 150 quid with a 12 month guarantee. This may mean a strip and clean of the fan with a bit of lubricating if its all it needs or it would probably be replacement.
Fixed price is £195 + VAT IIRC from their website so may not be as far out as I thought. But my and my parents' experiences with BG over the years are that they are very expensive.

When we had the boiler fitted new together with some new primaries and rads etc, BG quote was nearly £1K higher than any other quote. They also quoted lower spec boiler, said 22mm primaries were unnecessary and why did we need such big radiators.
My parents had a maintenance scheme with BG. They said no initial check of boiler was needed on joining because boiler was only 2 years old. When it failed 6 months later BG said teh fault must have been pre-existing and refused to carry out repair under service agreement.

Plenty of other experiences, and I guess it just leaves me with a feeling that the big company is expensive and quick to wriggle out of their commitment. WOuld prefer to give the job to a smaller local company, just don't know any at teh moment.

Sorry that sounded like a rant when I re-read it. Not meant to be.

Thanks for the help.

Fixed price is £195 + VAT IIRC from their website so may not be as far out as I thought. But my and my parents' experiences with BG over the years are that they are very expensive.

An on call assiatance job should be 156-166 depending on area lived in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back