French doors not closing properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help. I have french doors fitted in my upstairs bedroom that will not fully close. The house is 3 years old and the problem has developed in the past year. I can manage to close the flush bolt and the top of the door but not at the bottom due to the door jamming at the bottom. Both doors appear to drop in the centre.

Is the problem down to settlement and can they be adjusted. The doors are Scandic French doors that open into the bedroom.

Is this a serious problem?

Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.[/img]

Sponsored Links
hinges as tex mex says

has the doors swollen up with damp[is the problem worse in the winter]
setlement has the frame gone out of square

big all

Thanks for the replies.

Checked hinges and all are secure. Don't see it being a problem with damp as there has been no change through winter and summer.

Any other suggestions guys.

Sponsored Links
check the frame diagonal[corner to corner]
should read the same if square

you also said the doors seem to bind at the bottom do you mean
the doors rub together or door rubs on the frame
if its on the frame check the bottom if its the upright[rails]
that are rubbing look at the gap at the top to see if the gap
is bigger on end than the other

also measure the two doors individualy accross the width add on 10mm
that should be within +or- 2mm of the width of the inside of the frame

big all

I have the same problem - the door expands and contracts dependant on weather. If your doors are dark they expand more, they can expand as much as 5mm.

Contact a door supplier and they will come out and adjust the door, it only takes them a few minutes. My doors are guarenteed for 10 years so it doesn't cost me any money to get them adjusted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back