How to take lid off a dual flush cistern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I feel like a complete eedjit asking this question, but I inherited a dual flush cistern with our house, a simple type with two push buttons on top shaped together to form a circle. It's a Gala type if that helps.

Question: how do I get the lid off?! The push button mechanism on top has a ring retainer around it of some sort which I think is preventing the lid coming off, but the retainer doesn't seem to rotate.

Any help appreciated!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Answered recently - try Search. Push one "button" down and you might see a little groove for a thumbnail/screwdriver in the side of the one which is still up. Use to prise it up, then the first, then all should be clear.

Thanks ChrisR, I'll give that a go. I did try a search, but my searching abilities are clearly as good as my lid-removal abilities!

Bet you don't get much call for plumbing jobs in Antarctica.

Mike

Thanks again Chris, a few years later I have found this with a google search and got the info I was looking for. Did you ever think that your answer would last and last? Thanks again for helping in a tight spot.

peter brown

Sponsored Links
OK, I must be an even bigger "eedjit" because I've got as far as popping off the "Buttons" but it still ain't clear to me how to get the lid off!! The remaining fitting still has a hold and it feels like I'll break it if I try to prise it up.
Know what I mean? This toilet is a Vaal.

Should be a big plastic screw-head visible, if there is just un-screw it if there isn't then the entire fitting unscrews.

Tony

Ideal Standard specifically brought out these difficult to get into cisterns so that people wouldn't keep taking the Lids off.

After a couple of years of this type being sold they were inundated with phone calls to their technical department by DIYers so they decided to chage the design to something that would simply lift off.

Thanks ChrisR for your instructions I have an Ideal Standard one just as described we got into it thanks to your instructions and fixed the problem with the ballcock :D Well Happy now!

Managed to get the buttons out of my B&Q Dual Flush unit, but there's no screw beneath and the white posts stick through preventing me from uncrewing the surround. (You cannot push them below the ring).

Any ideas gratefully received.

Here's a photo of the lid...
ay4vtk.jpg

Have you tried easing the outer ring upwards, away from the lid?

Unscrew the outer ring? Sometimes takes a bit of fiddling.

Yes. Tried levering the ring up, but it seems to be trapped at the back. May just need more courage, but do not want to break it.

As I said, you cannot rotate ring because prevented by white plastic posts - short flush sticking through hole and long flush being in slot.

Unfortunately, I did not install it, so did not see how it went together.

It should unscrew, you may find that the white rods are part of the button mechanism.

Try pulling the rods out seperately and then unscrewing the chrome ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back