Time Delay RCDs and 17th Edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the risk of becoming another David 'RCD' Strachan(topic here), There appears to be another issue the 17th is going to raise.

From what I have read, TT Low Voltage installations will now require 0.2 disconnection times for ALL final circuits, other than those exceeding 32A or distribution circuits which are allowed to be 1 second.

Given that in TT installs the standard has been to put sockets on a 30ma RCD on the sockets, and lighting, cooker etc on a 100ma Time Delayed RCD ensure both compliant trip times AND discrimination, what will we be expected to do under the 17th?

Are they likely to produce shorter time delayed RCDs that do come under the 200ms rule (will they still discriminate?). Or will we see boards with multiple RCD Banks separately fed from one isolater, including say a 100ma RCD for lights etc (except for those in bathrooms which will have to be on 30ma anyway I believe).

I do hope they are quickly planning to produce an updated on site guide that will will clear up some of the issues that still seem to be in the air about the 17th - it is not that long until July. Am I the only one that thinks more guidance is needed from the 'experts' who wrote it and expect us poor sods to work to it.

Would it be too cynical to suggest that they left out clear guidance so that they can rake in more profit from us by selling us all the extra books that will appear.

:confused:

Of course I could have missed something - the only chance I've had recently to read the new regs (and watch the lovely NICEIC DVD!) has been in bed which is not the best time to take everything in....

Gavin

------
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

Sponsored Links
I can see it going the way of having to RCD protect the lighting in a TT install with a bog standard 30mA device where concealled cables are concerned.

multi RCD split boards already exist and seem to be the sane choice.

Sponsored Links
The note under the table says "where compliance with this regulation is provided by an RCD, the disconnection times in accordance with table 41.1 relate to the prospective residual fault currents significantly higher than the rated residual operating current of the RCD (typically 2 I /\n)."

yep
cant find any table relating to 0.2 disconnection time like it were in the 16th ( building sites)
Gotta be honest i am confused a bit about this but hey i would have been disappointed if i were not
Stupid as always...They never fail to make it as hard as possible
But the 17th is good for insomnia

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back