Door Opening by itself

aahhh you have 3 hinges

take the three screws out of the middle hinge on the door and loosen the leaf from the door
watch the door through its arc and see if the hinge seems to move different to the door arc

Sponsored Links
Hi Big,

Did that, and no doesn't seem to.

do you think it's a gravity thing?

thanks
G

aahhh you have 3 hinges

take the three screws out of the middle hinge on the door and loosen the leaf from the door
watch the door through its arc and see if the hinge seems to move different to the door arc

looking at the door when it's closed, the gap between the door and the frame at the top of the door is definitely wider than the gap at the bottom of the door.

yes it could be its just a case of ruling out any other causes

if its definatly leaning then the best solution will involve pulling in the top hinge 6mm and pushing out the bottom hinge 6mm
this will also involve moving/shaving the door stop

how big is the gap at the top!!!!

are the door stops planted on or a rebate in the frame!!!!

have you got a strait edge you can hold against the hinge knuckle to check they are fully in line !!!!

with the door shut hold the strait edge to the front and side off the hinge and see if they are fully in line
there should be no rocking or gaps and the batton should fully touch all 3 hinges alopng there length at the same time :rolleyes: :D

Sponsored Links
Hi Big,
gap at the top is a few mm more than the one at the bottom.

dont know what you mean about the rebate.
yes they're all in line.

I don't quite understand all you're saying now, so I guess it's time to give up.
But want to say thanks so much for trying to help me. I appreciate all your posts and your time.

Gx

yes it could be its just a case of ruling out any other causes

if its definatly leaning then the best solution will involve pulling in the top hinge 6mm and pushing out the bottom hinge 6mm
this will also involve moving/shaving the door stop

how big is the gap at the top!!!!

are the door stops planted on or a rebate in the frame!!!!

have you got a strait edge you can hold against the hinge knuckle to check they are fully in line !!!!

with the door shut hold the strait edge to the front and side off the hinge and see if they are fully in line
there should be no rocking or gaps and the batton should fully touch all 3 hinges alopng there length at the same time :rolleyes: :D

a rebate like your front door frame has a rebate for the door to sit in
or your interiour doors have a bit of wood [door stop ] for the door to sit against

not sure!?

10022008278.jpg

10022008275.jpg

10022008277.jpg

a rebate like your front door frame has a rebate for the door to sit in
or your interiour doors have a bit of wood [door stop ] for the door to sit against

very helpfull that photo

dont think its worth trying to fix as the dammage to the decore will be more annoying than a self opening door :D :D

lol thanks
my next big idea is to get a chain self closer
would rather have it swing close than open.

cheers for your help anyways

very helpfull that photo

dont think its worth trying to fix as the dammage to the decore will be more annoying than a self opening door :D :D

hello again,

so my temp fix is to put back the chain door closer.

the new one I bought doesn't come with instructions, anyone have any idea where I fit the clip which holds the plates apart so I can screw them into the frame and door?

It's one like this and comes with a metal plate bent up at one end with a slot from one end into the middle.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Images/DB_Detail/669611.jpg

cheers

you pull the chain out to tension the sping then you clip it to give you some slack to make it easier to fix

just a though before you drill your holes what width is your door!!!!!

the holes are already there as it had one before that we took out as i said

impossible to pull the chain out!

you pull the chain out to tension the sping then you clip it to give you some slack to make it easier to fix

just a though before you drill your holes what width is your door!!!!!

bit of 12mm ply 12" x12" with a slot in it to the centre clamp open slot ends into a workmate claw hammer to tension pin in

you can also do this when the cylinder is instaled in the door

...a metal plate bent up at one end with a slot from one end into the middle....

don't lose it. It is very difficult to adjust a Perko without it. the Claw hammer will easily pull the chain out (after you have fixed the tube into the door) so you can lock it and then fit the closer plate to the frame.

thanks John, did what you said and it worked.

rather have it closing all the time than opening lol

cheers all
xG

...a metal plate bent up at one end with a slot from one end into the middle....

don't lose it. It is very difficult to adjust a Perko without it. the Claw hammer will easily pull the chain out (after you have fixed the tube into the door) so you can lock it and then fit the closer plate to the frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back