Planning for solar water heating a future date

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We're going to have a replacement boiler and cylinder (mains water pressure) put into our house.

Is it possible to allow for the addition of solar water heating at a later date ? I'm thinking of a dual coil Megaflow. Could we install that now - and leave 1 coil disconnected until we get round to installing the solar panels ?

or am i talking rubbish as I know nothing of these things

Ta very much

Steve

Sponsored Links
If you get a twin coil fitted now, then the solar can be fitted at any time in the future.

cheers for the reply

just to complicate - is it possible to have

a) initial setup water is heated via gas boiler
b) allow future expansion via solar heating
c) ALSO allow future expansion via wood burning stove with attached boiler
d) have an immersion as backup ?

Does that all sound feasible ? need a triple coil (is that possible?)

and is there scope for the solar/wood burner helping out with the central heating as well - or is that best left to the gas boiler

sorry this is a bit tentative - just exploring options at the moment

ta

steve

cheers for the reply

just to complicate - is it possible to have

a) initial setup water is heated via gas boiler
b) allow future expansion via solar heating
c) ALSO allow future expansion via wood burning stove with attached boiler
d) have an immersion as backup ?

Does that all sound feasible ? need a triple coil (is that possible?)

and is there scope for the solar/wood burner helping out with the central heating as well - or is that best left to the gas boiler

sorry this is a bit tentative - just exploring options at the moment

ta

steve
a) Yes
b)Yes
c)No... You can't connect a solid fuel heater to an unvented..Cant control the temperature closely enough.
d Yes... Unventeds come with electric back up.

I've not seen a triple coil cylinder, but I never say never, perhaps one of the others can advise better

Sponsored Links
By way of getting you over the bad news about solid fuel, there is another thing you could throw in when you aren't getting much solar heat in the winter.
You could rob a bit of free energy from the boiler flue with one of these

cheers

By way of getting you over the bad news about solid fuel, there is another thing you could throw in when you aren't getting much solar heat in the winter.

doesn't a condensing boiler aim to reuse the flue heat ?

I don't think that this is possible as the solar should be kept as a separate circuit.. once the boiler water temperature is warmer than the flow temp of the solar , then the solar would shut down anyway so there would be very little gain...Plus your entire heating circuit would have to be filled with the same fluid as in the solar... On one system I have installed we connected the towel rails to the bathrooms to the solar so that towels will air even when the heating is off. Not too sure how effective it will be as it was done at the customers request but if it works then it would be a nice feature... Not long installed so there has been no feed back as yet

I hope you're going to make the collectors yourself, otherwise go to B&Q and see their collectors. The price tag is £3000 plus for an installation, then bear in mind that you will be lucky to get £100 saved on summertime water heating, and you can work out for yourself how long the payback time is.

As for the 5% energysaver, turn the temp down by 1 degree and you get 7% and you haven't had to pay for some more ironmongery.

thanks oilman - yeah i know payback is bad but money isn't the only issue and there are 'green' considerations as well

At the moment we just want the option for the future so would like to put in a compatible cylinder as I suspect gas and oil will get more expensive and solar will get cheaper ...

Cheers

ps I don't think I'd get this kind of thing from B&Q though - didn't know they did it

Solar is way over rated, but if your a 'greenie' with plenty of money then all your suggestions are ok except the solid fuel.

The megatech solar has one of the largest purpose made solar coils available to extract more heat into the HW cylinder and will give 100% of the cylinder heated by solar.

The green benefits are a fraud. It takes more energy to produce the equipment than it will recover in it's lifetime. It is not a "sustainable" method in the UK.

Cheers for the viewpoints on green issues.

As I said we'll put in the cylinder to keep our options open for the future

One quick further question. Can the sold fuel option be incorporated into the central heating (maybe by running the CH pipes via some kind of back boiler - or is that over-simplistic)

thanks for all the tips

steve

A company called Sonnenkraft make a system whereby some solar energy is used for the CH.

We investigated sending one of our team on a course but uunless your house is SPECTACULARLY well insulated and whole house heat recovery is employed it won't deliver any tangible benefit in the UK.

You would need very deep pockets.

The whole solar thing has been misrepresented by politicians rather than engineers and if you believe it without doing the maths you may be more gullible than you would like to think.

When factoring in the environmental impact just remember what went in to making and fitting and quoting for that virtually useless solar equipment. Loads of emissions to achieve virtually nothing.

Putting solar panels on the roofs of UK houses and schools wins votes but is almost pointless. Spend the moneyy on a few more hospitals instead, and stop closing our local A&Es.

PS: I should add that Sonnenkraft do not make any unrealistic claims for their CH and HW solar system, and it is sold in the UK to those with suitable properties who understand the payback.

cheers

doesn't a condensing boiler aim to reuse the flue heat ?

Yes it does re-use the flue heat and once the flue heat gets below 100ºc it will condense. The final temp of flue gases is around the 70ºC mark.
What this device does is take the heat from condensing point downover and uses it to pre-heat the cylinder water.
Winter mains cold water temp is about 5ºC so imagine if you could use this 'free' Well OK 'otherwise waste' energy and preheat a cylinder of water to say 55ºC.
When you run this 55ºC stored water through the combi for DHW you will only need a 5ºC temp rise to attain the 60ºC for use. That means the combi has to do less work , burn less gas and give a higher flow rate.
Compare that with a normal combi's winter work of taking the 5ºC water and knocking it out at 60ºC Watch the gas meter whizz round when you get hot water and imagine the difference if it was only turning at less than 1/10 of that speed.

Keep it in perspective though. While this is an eco-toy and it will save you money I cant see it justifying itself until the gas prices have trebled.
Is it worth getting in anticipation? - Time will tell.
If you are a true eco warrior and unilaterally green regardless of cost then I dare say it will be seen as a 'must have' to compliment summer solar preheating.

There is another factor to think about regards the use of the energycatcher. Imagine if you had a preheat tank just sat in your house and the heating was running and your house temp was 20ºC. A preheat cylinder on its own would eventually absorb heat from its in house environment and preheat itself to the temp of its surroundings.

One point that could be a big plus where theres flue issues. After going through the energycatcher the flue gases are at such a low temp that they can barely support moisture. That will be joyous news for those with steam trail problems.

As for the 5% energysaver, turn the temp down by 1 degree and you get 7% and you haven't had to pay for some more ironmongery.
:confused: :confused: Its plastic !
Turn the stat down get your 7%
Do the energycatcher as and when you can see the 5% saving make it a viable proposition.

I don't think that this is possible as the solar should be kept as a separate circuit.. once the boiler water temperature is warmer than the flow temp of the solar , then the solar would shut down anyway so there would be very little gain...Plus your entire heating circuit would have to be filled with the same fluid as in the solar...
Very possible. one sealed circuit and coil for solar and the other megaflow coil for the energycatcher.
Heating circuit is separately supplied from the combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back