Shower Feed Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I just wanted to clarify a few things when installing a shower feed, it will be Part P certified etc etc

When i install the 10mm T&E from an RCD protected CCU do i have to run a seperate bonding earth cable along side it to run from the shower earth terminal back to the CU? If so why? because i am already attaching the earth from the T&E to the earth terminal at the Shower running back to the CU

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as I can recall you don't need to, ensure the supply cable is adequate and protected by a suitable MCB, installation instructions are followed.

If in doubt get a sparky in, electricity and water do mix......................badly at times

You don't need an extra circuit protective conductor between the shower and CU, you do however need to include the shower in the supplementary equipotential bonding in the shower room.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, just wanted to clear that up as i have seen people do it and think why?

It will be included in the supplementary bonding in the bathroom

Now talking of that where do you actually connect the bonding to the shower? at the earth terminal inside? or one of the pipes connecting to the shower?

The shower has two elements, in your case
The pipes (they do the water)
The box with the heating bits (that gets it hot)

So you need to bond the shower pipes to the cpc(earth) cable of the shower itself. This bonding conductor will connect to the existing equipotentail bonding of the bathroom.

That way, all external metal bits are connected together so there will be no voltage difference between any of them if there is a fault.

thankyou very much so just to clarify....

From the earth terminal run my bonding to the pipes, then from the pipes run another cable to link on to the supplementary bonding? or is this already existing because ive connected to the pipes and the pipes are linked somewhere to the supplemtray bonding?

Basically am i connecting one supp bond or two?

Hi Guys, thanks for all the advice so far, any chance could got a definate on the above question, One bond or two?

Many thanks and again cheers for the info

The earth wire of every circuit that enters the bathroom (usually lighting, shower, shaver socket, immersion heater, electric radiator) must be bonded to each metallic service that enters the bathroom (cold water pipe, hot water pipe, radiator flow, radiator return, pipes to cylinder; cast iron soil pipe, metal waste pipe, gas pipe, air conditoning pipe).

You can use copper pipes as part of the bonding run, provided they are continuous or have permanent soldered joints.

You should do the bonding where the pipes enter the bathroom, or immediately outside it (e.g. where radiator pipes go through the wall, or pass from an adjacent airing cupboard)

All the bonding connections must be accessible for inspection and maintenance (so not plastered into walls or hidden under floors). However the wires need not be on show.

In your case you must connect the shower pipe to the shower earth wire terminal, and then connect these to the other pipes and earth wires. Use 4mm Green and Yellow cable and the metal pipe bonding clamps.

It is often convenient to connect to earth terminals in the ceiling switches, and lead the wire down in a pipe duct. You do not connect at the Consumer Unit or the incoming electrical supply by the main fuse.

thanks mate that helps alot, i take it i can connect to the exisitng Supp bond in the bathroom using any route i can eg if i locate the pipes in the loft i can run from the shower pipes to the pipes i find in the loft

any convenient and accessible route.

It is usually more convenient to have the pipe clamps in the bathroom or airing cupboard. you can put them under the bath or behind the basin pedestal if that is close to where the pipes enter the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back