quick one - degree drop on a toilet waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have had new ensuite fitted. We have used toilet for a few months now and it is getting partially blocked. Since, we have to JIF the toilet practically everyday you can tell the blockage must be just around the 1st bend of the waste pipe. It appears to me that the waste pipe, which goes off at right angles to the toilet along the wall and is approx 50cm long before it goes through the outside wall and hits a new soil pipe has not been set at a sufficient angle to wash the stuff down the pipe. Is there any minimum angle that the waste pipe should be fitted? Hope it makes sense.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The maximum slope is 1:40 !!!

Its more likely that the slope is too high.

Or there is an obstruction in the way.

Why dont you put a CCTV camera round the bend?

Tony

The maximum slope is 1:40 !!!

Its more likely that the slope is too high.
Total, and complete, and utter, boll*cks. :rolleyes:

The conventional fall for an above-ground soil branch is 1 in 23 - about 44mm over a run of 1m.

Or there is an obstruction in the way.
You got there in the end.

Why dont you put a CCTV camera round the bend?
I sincerely thank you for introducing me to a new experience - being astonished at your sustained inability to make a helpful and practical suggestion.

sam167, please ignore Agile - he repairs boilers and doesn't understand general plumbing.

What type of pan connector has been used, and what does the pan water level do when you flush?

Before rear-outley pans became horizontal (which isn't a very good slope :rolleyes: ) they were 14 degrees, which is about 1 in 4. That's the sort of slope which works to get the pan cleared, especially if there's a bend close. Always best if "sideways" bends can go down a bit even if the subsequent pipe is shallower. And don't use the concertina type,

Bldg regs state between 9 and 90mm per metre drop :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
For straight runs the traditionally successful fall is McGuires Rule (sp?), = 1 in 40 but for short runs you do need more.
I've not heard of 1 in 23 but it sounds ideal!

Sponsored Links
sam167";p="821205 said:
Hello,

We have had new ensuite fitted. We have used toilet for a few months now and it is getting partially blocked. Since, we have to JIF the toilet practically everyday . Is there any minimum angle that the waste pipe should be fitted? quote] 2 1/2 degrees

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. I think i'll go with 1 in 23. Having looked at the waste pipe again i reckon it is practically horizontal with hardly any downslope at all. It's a bit hard to tell as most of it has been boxed in but looks like a duff job by the plumber to my untrained eye. I'll see what he has to say. Cheers.

In spite of the advice and the rude comments Softus makes about me...
I apologise - my comment about you not understanding general plumbing was an underestimate.

...the Wickes web advice on foul drains supports the 1:40 fall I stated to you !
Wickes said:
The purpose of this leaflet is
to provide you with basic
details on what you may find
underground.
So not only do you misunderstand general plumbing, but you appear to think that the OP is altering the underground foul drainage.

Astonishing.

Agile, I`ll do a deal.......you have my old Institute of Plumbing " design book"...and in exchange help me to rebuild a valve amp. :idea: sounds a good deal to me ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back