vintage light switch reused?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to use an original ceramic and brass [1 gang] light switch. It was made in England before the 1930s. It seems to be in perfect condition, but the terminals do not seem to correspond to the modern ones. It has 3 terminals, but the top one does not seem to be Common, switching to the bottom 2 as L1 and L2. [I checked this with a battery and torch bulb.] Would it be possible to use this as a one way switch using the bottom 2 terminals, with the top redundant? Any thoughts (other than throw it in a skip)? :)

Sponsored Links
the top one could be the earth terminal try testing that

any particular reason for wanting to reuse it (like it fits well with the feel of your house etc)

if you can find 2 temrinals that the switch connects and disconnects and you earth the brass properly i cant see any reason not to use it

You can get modern copies that comply with regs, BS etc and CE marked.

Try tlc.

Thanks for your advice. I'm restoring a period house and I have been using the modern copies, which are the simplest solution. But I have this original switch which looks good and I wanted to make use of it. [The repro ones are quite pricey.]

I tested the top terminal and it was not an Earth. Like other old switches I've seen, it seems it was made without an Earth. However, the brass toggle switch is secured to the body of the switch by 2 brass screws, which are sealed with bees wax at the back. It's possible to scrape the beeswax off, undo a screw, and attach an earth lead before retightening. Then the metal part that you touch can be earthed into the switch box.

I went back and tested the switch more systematically. The bottom left terminal appears to be the input, and the output is switched between the top and bottom right terminals, so it appears to be a 2 way switch. So it should be possible to use it as a 1 way switch if I connect the bottom left and right terminals? Seems an odd arrangement though - was there a time when the layout wasn't standardised? The switch was made by an English company called Tucker Telac.

Sponsored Links
lawrence said:
Thanks for your advice. I'm restoring a period house and I have been using the modern copies, which are the simplest solution. But I have this original switch which looks good and I wanted to make use of it. [The repro ones are quite pricey.]
If you're actually re-installing old accessories, check that it doesn't invalidate your insurance.

I tested the top terminal and it was not an Earth. Like other old switches I've seen, it seems it was made without an Earth. However, the brass toggle switch is secured to the body of the switch by 2 brass screws, which are sealed with bees wax at the back. It's possible to scrape the beeswax off, undo a screw, and attach an earth lead before retightening. Then the metal part that you touch can be earthed into the switch box.
That's a good wheeze.

I went back and tested the switch more systematically. The bottom left terminal appears to be the input, and the output is switched between the top and bottom right terminals, so it appears to be a 2 way switch. So it should be possible to use it as a 1 way switch if I connect the bottom left and right terminals?
Yup - bottom left and either of the other two, depending on which are connected when the switch is down.

Seems an odd arrangement though - was there a time when the layout wasn't standardised?
Yup. The time was then, and the time is now - there is no standardisation, not even in the labelling of COM/L1/L2 or L1/L2/L3.

ban-all-sheds said:
Yup. The time was then, and the time is now - there is no standardisation, not even in the labelling of COM/L1/L2 or L1/L2/L3.

every modern light switch i have seen has had the terminals in an isocoles triange with the common at the opposite end of the switch from the other terminals

Thanks to everyone who commented. I mounted the switch on a piece of oak to cover the wall box and it works.

Ummm ... insurance. Why didn't I think of that?

:(

lawrence said:
I mounted the switch on a piece of oak to cover the wall box and it works.

Doesn't the Oak class as a combustible material? - and thus not conform to the Regs :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back