Garage door: fitting a retaining bolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Henderson "up-and-over" garage door that faces West.
The built-in lock (it locates at the top middle of the door) is not very effective. The timber doorframe is misaligned, I think. In blustery conditions, the wind forces the garage door open!
I am thinking of fitting a simple barrel bolt to the front of the door, that bolts into the timber frame.
Where is the best place on the door to fit this? Upper, lower, side, top, bottom?
The Westerly wind pushes the top half of the door inward, forcing the bottom half outwards. Even if I put a brick at the bottom!

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
I too have a Henderson U&O. My handle has a cam that drives steel strips into the frames at the centre off each side. However, as garage locks are not secure, I have added a padbolt to the centre of the top and bottom on the inside. I drilled sockets into the concrete floor and the wooden lintel.

In my case I can gain personal accesss through the back door, and open the large door from inside.

BTW you can buy Henderson locking handles with a cam to operate two rods or strips, if you like the idea.

I have another garage where I fitted a hasp and padlock at each side, as the makers lock was not much good.

I have another garage where I fitted a hasp and padlock at each side, as the makers lock was not much good.

Did you fit them near the top of the door. Or down near the bottom?

Mike

Sponsored Links
near the bottom, where it starts to swing out on opening (and where someone might try to lever it open and crawl inside)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back