Wiring Diagram question needed answering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im new to the forum as you can probably tell from my profile, Just need a question answered about the diagram below.

My Client wants to install a fan in a new build bathroom which has a switched live and permanent live with a timer.

wire.jpg

I need to wire in a 2pole FCU so am planning to lay it out as the diagram. My question relates to the ceiling rose and replacing this with mains downlighters, GU10's in a bathroom compliant mount.....

Am i right in thinking that as long as the connections are all the same, the ceiling rose in the diagram can be swapped out for a junction box?

Thanks for looking.
Ali

Sponsored Links
Correct.

Just be sure that the junction box is accessable in order to comply with regs (tearing down ceilings or pulling up floor boards does not count!)

Thanks for your confirmation.

That is what I thought, just needed a second opinion to clarify.

Have a good weekend.
Ali

Ali

Why are you using

1 A double pole pull cord
2 A FCU

All you need is a single pole pull cord and a fan isolator switch

Sponsored Links
Always puzzled me a bit as to why the manufacturers of timed fans require them to be on a 3A fuse.
Using a DP pullcord etc allows there to be two completely separate switching circuits from the single pullcord and therefore the 3A fuse can be used to protect the fan.
Also, an alternative method may be to use a fused spur unit with a 3A fuse to protect both the light and fan, then a 3 pole isolator to allow the fan to be isolated for maintenance.
It should also be noted that if in England or Wales, additions to the wiring in a bathroom are notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs. Are you doing this work as a professional?

Thanks Sparks

Another case of manufactures wording to suit themselves, rather than fit a costly fuse in the fan

Always puzzled me a bit as to why the manufacturers of timed fans require them to be on a 3A fuse.
[cynical]Because they know nobody will do it, so when it fails, or burns the house down, they can say "it's not our fault, you didn't install it correctly."[/cynical]

I wonder how many people will fully comply with 134.1.1....

I would never consider protecting a fan unless it was a more expensive centrifugal type.

They are cheap as chips these days, and how would they now if you hadn't protected it by a 3 amp fuse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back