I'm putting up a new soil stack. The layout is as follows:

Underground Socket
Plain pipe
Access point (double socketed)
Pipe (socket at top)
92.5 Tee for toilet (socket at top)
Pipe (socket at top)
Offset bends - pipe - vent

Question is do I need to allow for expansion between the Underground socket and the access point? As in, do I have to withdraw the pipe by 10mm for each of these sockets? If so, do I then need a bracket on the access point?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it would be prudent to allow for expansion.

You haven't given any pipe lengths, but FYI...

[url=http://www.brettmartin.com/building/soilwaste/technical_guide/design/function.aspx]Brett Martin[/url] said:
THERMAL EXPANSION
PVCu has a coefficient of expansion of approximately 0.06mm/m/ºC. Consequently a 2m length of soil or waste pipe
will expand by 2.4mm for a 20ºC rise in temperature. This expansion is taken into consideration in the design of
systems and components, and must be accommodated when installing. A similar allowance should be made when
installing polypropylene and MuPVC systems.

Thanks for that.

The bit of pipe between the access point and underground socket is 6". The 2.4m pipe in the top of the access point has 10mm expansion space at both top & bottom. This is why I was thinking the 6" pipe wouldn't need it as the above gap can take up any expansion. My concern was really that there it's tricky to put a socket clip on the access point and without one it may slip downwards, loosing the gap provided, but making the gap for the above pipe too large.

Sponsored Links
For a 6" length of soil pipe you need to allow a 0.2mm expansion gap.

Read between the lines..... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back