Immersion Heater Switch Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got a fused timer for my immersion heater. I've just taken the existing switch off the wall and i've got a bit confused.

Below are 2 photos :

Existing Switch and connections :

Image00001.jpg

Back of my new timer :

Image00002.jpg

I think the dark green and the light green wires should go into the Earth Connector at the top (where it says "Use Connector for Earth Continuity")

But then i'm a bit lost.

Where should the black and red wires (coming from the wall) go ?

Where should the blue and brown (connecting to the Immersion Heater) go ?

Do they just go one after each other in slots 1-4 on the back of the unit ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
can't see the numbers clearly on the picture but..

the neutral ( black and blue ) are the bottom line on the drawing, the live ( red and brown ) are the top line..

live feed in ( red and black ) go on the left.. load goes on the right...

the two other terminals on the top line will need linking.. ( the 2 dot's middle of the drawing.. ) , these are for a remote switch..

since this appears to be fused (according to the drawing anyway ) then make sure that the load does not exceed the fuse rating..

Sponsored Links
Please could you post a picture that's in focus?

Typical we posted at the same time.

Live in goes to terminal 6 Neutral In goes to terminal 5 Live out (brown) goes to terminal 4 Neutral out (blue) goes to terminal 4 with a link of 2.5mm cable between terminal 3 and terminal 2

Nick

I'm a complete novice so bear with me..

I'm assuming Red is live, and black is neutral, so red wire goes into hole 6, black goes into hole 5.

Then where do the brown and blue go into ?

I am right in thinking that the 2 greens, as they are already connected to the metal plate (with an E beside it) then these 2 wires should go into the top Earth connector ?

LIVE IN RED, LIVE OUT BROWN ,NEUTRAL IN BLACK ,NEUTRAL OUT BLUE, LINK BETWEEN 3 and 2 must be of cable the sme rating as the load so you need a piece of 2.5 cable really. of red or brown
Link earths in connector block on back of spur.
Nick

Typical we posted at the same time.

Live in goes to terminal 6 Neutral In goes to terminal 5 Live out (brown) goes to terminal 4 Neutral out (blue) goes to terminal 4 with a link of 2.5mm cable between terminal 3 and terminal 2

Nick
read my post again i have told you the connections

Hi, sorry, you've put 4 in twice, hence my confusion...

the top line of their drawing on the unit represents the LIVE side

the bottom represents the NEUTRAL SIDE

Nick

NO!

1 Brown
2 to 3
3 to 2
4 Blue
5 Black
6 Red

Before you energise with the switch, check the polarity of the circuit and make sure that the red is +230V (give or take a bit).

sorry i had not noticed that , right here goes again

Live in red core to terminal 6 , Live out brown core to terminal 1
Neutral in black core to terminal 5 Neutral out blue core to terminal 4

Link between termianl 2 and 3

Nick

See, i'm confused and i don't know what i'm doing, and you two have just contradicted each other..

Brown wire in 1
Connect 2.5mm wire from 2 to 3
Blue wire in 4
Black wire in 5
Red wire in 6

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back