Identifying electric shower cable size [with pic]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I had my house rewired coming up to 2 years ago.And I would like to identify the size of shower cable as we are looking to buy a new electric shower.I think it is 10mm but would like to know for sure.
It is marked, Pirelli cables base o 10 6242y bs6004
The outer cable sleeving is 16.5mm x 8mm and the live and neutral is 6mm measured on its outer sleeving.The pic is of what I had left over.Many thanks.
Picture1379.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not read the blurb, but the fact it has a stranded (4mm) earth, it is 10mm. Could also be 16, but most likely 10.

Defo not 6mm, this has a solid earth (single strand).

The TLC site shows nominal sizes of their twin & earth as:

6mm² 13.5mm x 7mm
10mm² 17.1mm x 10mm
16mm² 19.4mm x 10mm

6mm has solid cpc so it looks like 10mm² per the above

Sponsored Links
Measure the diameter of a single copper strand in the phase or neutral condcutors and then count how many of them there are...

Not read the blurb, but the fact it has a stranded (4mm) earth, it is 10mm.
I would avoid depending on rules of thumb like this. IIRC at least one manufacturer offers 6/4 T&E as a stock option and will do 6/6 T&E to special order.

Measure the diameter of a single copper strand in the phase or neutral condcutors and then count how many of them there are...
Given the limited choice of discrete sizes available you can get a perfectly accurate result by measuring the whole bundle at the point where the insulation stops.

Not read the blurb, but the fact it has a stranded (4mm) earth, it is 10mm.
I would avoid depending on rules of thumb like this. IIRC at least one manufacturer offers 6/4 T&E as a stock option and will do 6/6 T&E to special order.

Never come across that, or heard of it.

Obviously seen plenty old school cable, but not new.

There are seven strands in the live and neutral and the diameter is approx1.3mm the earth strands [seven] are about .9mm.Thank you.

OK - you're looking for the cross sectional area of each core. There's a calculator in the Accessories folder...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back