BAXI 80 - strange problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 3 year old BAXI 80 Combi-boiler which last night for some strange reason decided it wasn’t going to provide us with any hot water or central heating.

On the boiler display panel all of the temperature lights were off but the “water tap” display light was flashing constantly. However, I found that when I turned on a hot water tap the “water tap” display light would stop flashing and illuminate constantly yet the water was still cold and the temperature lights were still off.

I also noticed that when the hot water tap was turned on there wasn’t a lot of noise coming from the boiler itself and it was as if the thing wasn’t firing up at all. Normally you would hear the burner start up a few seconds after turning on the hot water tap.

At the moment we have the boiler set to timer so that the central heating switches on twice each day, three hours early each morning and four hours each night just before we go to bed. Now I aren’t certain but I think the boiler might have cut-out just as the central heating timer switched off because I can vaguely remember hearing the boiler shut down at the usual time.

Anyway no matter how many times I tried I just couldn’t get the bloody thing to reset so I decided to leave it alone switched on in the hope that it would probably reset itself somehow.

This morning I woke up and the bedroom radiators were hot so I went downstairs only to find the boiler working perfectly normal. The temperature lights were lit as expected and everything looked to be working as it was before. For most of today I’ve been checking up with the missus and she says the boiler is still working fine even thought the central heating timer is off at the moment.

So I’ve done a search on here for possible problems but I aren’t having much luck. I’ve found a couple of posts that refer to the diverter valve and diaphragm. Could this be the cause of my problems? Or could it have shut down for some other reason?
Any input would be appreciated. I want to get a vague idea of what’s what before the same thing happens again and I have to call a plumber out.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Sponsored Links
We have a 3 year old BAXI 80 Combi-boiler

the “water tap” display light was flashing constantly. However, I found that when I turned on a hot water tap the “water tap” display light would stop flashing and illuminate constantly

Is this the instant version?

You have talked a lot about your boiler but without mentioning the obvious thing!

Whats the system pressure???

Tony

Theres an 80e
80 eco
combi 80
80 instant
80HE

Come on dude give us a clue
I want to get a vague idea of what’s what before the same thing happens again and I have to call a plumber out.
Vaguely theres a problem!!!

Sponsored Links
First, see the manual. You can look up the lights function.
partsarena.com/baxi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back