1/2 hour FD, do I really need to change the frames??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under building regs,I think its a bit vague ,dont know if I HAVE to change the frames or can I have them cut out to fit an incandescent strip or whatever they are called?!
Loft conversion in the planning but told I need to change seven doors and frames by builder but posts here differ,mabye for different circumstances,but for a loft conversion,do I HAVE to have new frames fitted along with the doors,cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
B/regs only require a door with 20 minutes fire resistant - not specifically a 'fire door'. No intumescent strips.

If you are doing a loft conversion on a two storey building, thus creating three storeys, then your builder is correct you need to create a safe corridor so that you can exit the building in the event of a fire from any level. I think 30 minute fire doors are the minimum spec, you would also need to fit self closers. As for the frames I don't think you need do anything to them, you may need to replace the door stops to give 20mm overlap (don't quote me on that) with the door. Any requirement for intumescent strips or smoke seals can be routered into the door edge not the frames.

HTH

Alan

Not sure what it is north of the wall for loft conversions, but English regs require 20 minute door only, and they recently changed so that self-closing is no longer a requirement

Sponsored Links
Not sure what it is north of the wall for loft conversions, but English regs require 20 minute door only, and they recently changed so that self-closing is no longer a requirement

Yep we're still 30 minutes and closers up here, also building warrant approval is mandatory before work commences. I wouldn't imagine there is a huge saving in cost or construction between a 20 and 30 minute door so I'd go with 30. Also seems a bit strange if you don't fit a self closer then you don't have a fire door.

Alan

The self closing device is no longer a requirement due to a bit of common sense - everyone takes them off as soon as the completion certificate is given!

So it seems still to be a bit up in the air at the moment!
im hoping woodys veiw,
B/regs only require a door with 20 minutes fire resistant - not specifically a 'fire door'. No intumescent strips.

Is the one to go with ,will phone building regs tommorow,hoping for some clarification. I do know two other bco have both given me differnt info on this ,hence the post!
Self closers not required anymore,defeating any object of a fire door,

one bco said my old doors should sufice if its an old house with old doors ( falling in to woodys way of thinking)mabye 20 mins f resistance, the next said no ,new doors and frames are required throughout the escape route.
Even the booklets I have been sent are vague on the issue.
will let you know what they say next!

The regs (Part B1) changed last April, and part of these changes was for the protected escape route, and all doors to be changed to FD20 spec.

The problem will be in convincing the BCO that the doors do conform. A solid timber door in a traditional lining with normal stops may comply with a 20 minute rating, however, the BCO may want to see specific 'fire doors' and wider stops and intumescent seals.

The regs do specify FD20 and this rating is for the door, frame and hardware (no brass or aluminium hinges!) as a doorset and not just the door.

As the onus is on you to prove compliance, if you are not able to, then you probably would have to go with the BCO's recomendations - which may be changing the doors and stops and fitting seals. Thats why you may get different views from different BCO's

they have now said I can keep my frames as long as I foam out the packing space between wall and door frame and above,and fit fd30 doors with a inturmiscent strip cut in to the doors.
I do hope I can get the doors ready made as I can see the frames cut out for the strips for sale but no doors ,and routing is not for me!!
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back