Hotpoint WD61 motor fails to run...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem with Hotpoint WD61 washer dryer: this may be a bit old now but it’s quite “low mileage” and doesn’t leak! I am very loathed to buy a replacement motor/ control board or even whole machine £££!!!

It is frustrating that more info is not available and am possibly condemned to spending £100 for a new motor to find out that it was something else (more £££!) at fault!

Came to do wash & found that the machine was completely dead. Replaced 13A fuse in plug. Subsequently the machine will only fill and drain out water- the timer tries to work but hangs but has to be helped - is it waiting for an event that never happens? Also the condenser unit motor runs seemingly OK.

The main motor will not attempt to run at all.

It would seem to be a “GDA” motor.

I have done some simple continuity checks around the motor (easy stuff first-rather than delve into complexities the electronic controller) and the windings and brushes are OK, BUT the connection to one of the brushes has a small component in line that sits on the laminated field coil frame. This seems to be open circuit and on face value would cause the motor to fail.

The component has Texas Instruments on it and some numbers-15AM252A 15K7S on the metal case and a 15A14 252A970A on the transparent plastic sleeve, but I cannot find any info on this on WWW search (including TI.com)

I can only speculate, although not totally convinced, that it’s a thermal cut-out. What goes against this is that it is not actually in good thermal contact with the frame, being in a plastic sleeve and pad. Alternative thoughts are that since it is in the B field of the field coil and is a TI component it is a semiconductor device and may be something like a Hall Effect sensor- but why in series with the armature???

What is this component and if it’s o/c with a DMM. has it failed, and can it be replaced?? Is there any source of service info on these machines?

Sponsored Links
It is indeed a TOC. If you want to reset it, lie it on a hard surface and hit it. Meter it before reassembling the motor. Normally these only trip when the carbons are worn or there is wear on the armature causing sparking and heat.

Success!

Gave the thing a sharp shock as described and it went low ohms. I probably wouldn’t have guessed this technique. Rebuilt & tested the washer and it is now whirring its way through a mountain of laundry!

I think (hope) this may a one off, since the brushes and armature don’t seem to show any signs of undue wear or burning etc, indeed these are unusually clean????

Many thanks for your advice- IOU Beer tokens!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back