Help fitting a threshold guard/sill to our backdoor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our back door does not have a macclesfield sill of any kind and we want to seal the bottom of the door to protect from drafts and also ants and slugs crawling underneath in springtime. The base of the door is brick and the door itself is wood. Should we buy a macclesfield sill from Stormguard and is it easy to fit ourselves? We are total novice diy-ers.

Sponsored Links
I'd heard of eccles cakes, but not macclesfield cills.

That particular storm cill design just seems like a trip hazard and a dirt trap.

I'd go for one of the other designs which are more flat, but with a riased rubber strip which seals against the bottom of the door. And then fit a weartherboard to the bottom/front of the door

Hi Woody. What are the other designs you talk of called and where can I buy one?
The bottom of the door, on the outside, has a weatherboard so that's fine. The main reason we want a seal is because drafts and insects can get in under the door as its an old door.

Look on the www.stormguard.co.uk site and there are many others.

IMO, something like the Masterguard or similar types are best, as they are pretty flat and trouble free

Trim or add to the door bottom, and the threshold is just screwed down - with silicon mastic under it to seal it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back