boiler problem and i'm stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wonder if anyone can help me, I've got a british gas boiler 24LE and it sounds like the pilot light is not igniting. The pressure had dropped and i have re-pressurised it thinking or hoping that may work but it hasn't. Can I fix it or do I have to get someone round to look at it?
Hope someone can help, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for replying,
tried turning it on and off, there's a flashing light on the radiator side, when i hit the reset button all i hear is the clicking where it's trying to ignite.

Hi rach26, what lights are flashing before you press the reset button? is it just the one? There should be 4 lights on the front of the boile. If you can tell me which are lit before you reset then we should be able to make some progress.

Also just a quick one. You're not on a preypayment meter are you? do you have gas?

Sponsored Links
Hi Jon,
there are just two light spaces, one next to a radiator symbol and one with water. If i run the hot water tap the light by the water sign is constant and it tries to ignite then the light starts flashing by the radiator symbol. If i try turning the heating on just the clicking noise then the light starts flashing by the radiator symbol again.
Pay direct debit and my gas is still on, warming by fire as we speak.

sorry there is four light spaces only one flashing is the radiator one

ok when you reset the boiler and hear the sparking can you see any pilot flame through the sight glass on the front?

sorry should say you need to move the white front panel first. just lift straight up and then pull forwards.

Ok well i'm sorry but that is as far as you can go without removing the combustion cover :( there is a high limit stat in the boiler behind the combustion cover that may have tripped due to your lack of pressure. Its at the top right on the pipework ;)

Really you need to call a corgi engineer out to rectify the fault.

sorry didn't read the bit about lifting the white panel off, i can see the spark light now, does that make a difference?

Its usually the gas valve but you need a CORGI engineer to test it first.

thanks anyway, scatman and especially Jon,
someone tell me again why i bought my 1st house!!!! problem after problem!

No problem Rach26. Sorry the pub was calling last night!! lol

If you can see the spark being generated but you have no pilot flame visible then it will be down to a lack of gas. This can be for numerous reasons.

1/ No gas from meter. We have already established that the meter is ok though as you have the gas fire running.

2/ Below the boiler there are 5 pipes entering. The centre one is the gas supply. Check to ensure that the valve is open. Handle should be running in line with the pipe.

3/ Assuming all the above is ok then it will be down to an RGI to inspect further. The most common problems here would be a blocked pilot injector/blocked bundy tube/faulty gas valve.

4/ If you can see the spark and it does create the pilot flame then it will normally be down to a faulty rectification probe. (the bit that senses the flame) This again is a job for an RGI

It looks like you are going to need an engineer out to it but i hope this helps and at least you know what to look out for when he comes.

most common problems here would be a blocked pilot injector/blocked bundy tube

Not sure you are on the right boiler here fella,

A 24LE is a rebadged Worcester 24CDi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back