Moving a Power Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Basically i want to move a power socket which is on the ring main about 1 metre. I want to move it so adding a spur will not do.

The problem :

I need about another metre of flex to get the socket to where i want it. So whats the best method? Can I simplily add additional flex (same type) with some sort of connector ? I am converting my garage so this wiring will end up behind a partition wall.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You cant use a screw type connector if its going to be covered over. you need to use through insulated crimps with heat shrink sleeving over the joint.

You mention "flex". If you are going to use flex cable then make sure it is the same size (csa) as the original cables. Most people will use the solid conductor twin and earth cable.

sorry, yes flex was a general term, it will be same wiring type that currently exists.

Do you know the type of connector and are they available down my local B&Q.... ?

You say that the socket is on a ring main. This means that there should be two cables connected into the back of it. Why must the socket move?

Sponsored Links
Is the Twin and Earth to the sockets either side of the one you want to move accessible enough that you could replace with a length a meter longer?

sorry, yes flex was a general term, it will be same wiring type that currently exists.
Which is...?

Do you know the type of connector
These:

CTBUTTSLASHB.JPG

Applied with one of these:

DVDHCR15.JPG

NOT one of these:

DR210.JPG

and are they available down my local B&Q.... ?
The crimps will be - not sure about the tool. Probably not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back